Author Topic: Favorite Text novel author  (Read 1829 times)

animalia

• Passionate youth
    • View Profile
Favorite Text novel author
« on: September 23, 2010, 11:44:20 AM »
I was curious to what everybody's favorite author of regular stories (i,e, not manga) is. Mine is Michael Crichton, unfortunately, most of the movie adaptations of his novels do not to justice to his books. :( at least that is what i think.

topaz989

• Silver Saint
  • Real Men Wear Pink
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Text novel author
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 12:29:07 PM »
Mine is easily Erich Maria Remarque, the author who wrote "All Quiet on the Western Front." The vivid imagery and symbolism he uses just brilliantly capture his anti-war sentiments. At the same time,  it is honest and very down to earth. I've read the book many times, I've watched both movies and I'm excited about the new one being made with believe it or not, Daniel Radcliff (Harry Potter) as the main character.

Hydrus

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 10:44:36 PM »
I'm gonna have to say Arthur Conan Doyle because Sherlock Holmes is pretty much my life, but I'm not crazy about his other stuff (The Challenger books are okay).  So aside from him, I like Douglas Adams, Richard Adams and Jack London.

animalia

• Passionate youth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 02:14:25 PM »
my second choice would be Dan Brown Though I generally prefer his standalone novels to his Robert Langdon series.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 09:51:44 PM by animalia »

Raiden [雷電]

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • I am the Goddess of Death. Your life is forfeit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 05:45:32 PM »
My favorite has been David Eddings since I was 12, so that makes it around 11-12 years. I saw "The Seeress of Kell" in a bookstore and read the back cover - it seemed interesting so I bought it, and fell in love. It took me 11 years to collect all his books (minus Regina's Song, High Hunt and The Losers). ...He was the author who introduced me to fantasy literature so he's always been special to me. I don't even mind that he copies his own plots and characters. In fact, his diverse cast of characters and dry and sarcastic humor are the backbone of his writing. And that's some bloody brilliant humor, right there. <3

As for non-fantasy authors, I'll have to pick Astrid Lindgren. This woman was the queen of fairytales. I've never read a more heart-wrenching book than Brothers Lionheart. However, Mio My Son is my favorite of her stories. It's just sad - even though it has a happy ending, it's also a pitiful one (the boy was reunited with his father in a magical land, yet his body was found frozen to death in our world).

Hallwill

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 10:27:29 PM »
If I have to pick only one author, I'd say J.R.R. Tolkien. Reading The Lord of the Rings in English was enchanting (it made me LOVE English).

But there also are : Dan Brown, J.K. Rowling, Eiji Yoshikawa

I was curious to what everybody's favorite author of regular stories (i,e, not manga) is. Mine is Michael Crichton, unfortunately, most of the movie adaptations of his novels do not to justice to his books. :( at least that is what i think.

I only read Rising Sun by Michael Chrichton and I wanted to get my hand on Jurassic Park but it'll have to wait.
:seiya: " Allô Shiryu, c'est toi ?"
:shiryu: " Tu viens de composer mon numéro bourrique ! Qui tu veux que se soit !"