Author Topic: Sherlock Holmes, anyone?  (Read 2362 times)

Hydrus

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
Sherlock Holmes, anyone?
« on: May 09, 2010, 08:54:58 PM »
Any Holmes fans out there?  C'mon, let's talk about the world's greatest detective.

What're your favorite stories?
Favorite TV series/film/radio series/stage adaptation?
Got any crackpot theories?

As for me, my favorite stories are The Devil's Foot, The Dying Detective, The Blue Carbuncle, and The Empty House.
My favorite adaptation is the Granada Jeremy Brett series.  I also love The Adventures series with Ronald Howard.  (Which is on Amazon for $8 for the full series, by the way.)
My crackpot theory is that Watson is actually Conan Doyle's father.  It's the mustaches, you know.

Mewzard

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Iron Will, Lion's Heart, Brat's Maturity
    • View Profile
Re: Sherlock Holmes, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 10:03:11 PM »
I do enjoy Sherlock Holmes.

Sign of the Four, The Adventure of the Speckled Band, A Scandal in Bohemia, The Hound of the Baskervilles. To be fair, I liked almost all of the ones I have read, so it can be hard to choose (still have a few more short stories to read).

As for adaptations, I'm iffy on them. I want to see all of Conan Doyle's stories adapted to film, yet 99% of the onscreen work isn't an Holmes story already novelized. Why not make all these stories into movies with: A. A modest budget. B. Newer, not so famous, yet talented actors who will work for cheaper. C. Accurate script. All of these things could turn the work into something good, cheap, and profitable. You don't need to sink a fortune into a Holmes movie to make it good. It wouldn't take much money at all to make a good one.

Hydrus

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 12:50:09 PM »
In that case, I would suggest looking into the Granada series.  It's the most canonically faithful adaptation out there.  Also, Jeremy Brett is widely regarded as THE actor to play Holmes.

PiscesCaballero

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 11:41:30 AM »
I currently have The Complete Sherlock Holmes Vol. 1 compilation I bought years ago from a Barnes and Noble sale. Never actually got started on it, just left it in my closet sitting their with in a pile of books I got for free from the local library donations or Goodwill.

I might start reading it so expect this thread to be filled with discussion :D .

(Got too lazy with this pic, used web cam to instantly upload it instead of using new cam I got. Will be uploading a descent pic later).

Hydrus

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 12:37:40 PM »
Is it part of a 2 volume set?  So this one probably has A Study in Scarlet, The Sign of Four, The Adventures, The Memoirs, and The Return?

PiscesCaballero

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 12:41:39 PM »
Yes, all those books you listed are compiled in this volume.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 05:31:33 AM »
I started with the Sign of the Four then Hound of Baskervilles, A Study in Scarlet, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and lastly The Valley of Fear.

SageofTime

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 07:00:51 PM »
I had this huge book of every Sherlock Holmes Story but I don't know where it is

Mewzard

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Iron Will, Lion's Heart, Brat's Maturity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 07:41:55 PM »
I recently got a hardcover collection of the Sherlock Holmes novels annotated by Leslie S. Klinger. It's been an enjoyable way to read them thus far (still need to order the two hardcovers that have all the short stories).