Author Topic: Romance of the Three Kingdoms: A true chinese classic  (Read 5151 times)

GallaxyOfIllusions

• Bronze Saint
  • Your in love, have a beer
    • View Profile
Romance of the Three Kingdoms: A true chinese classic
« on: January 25, 2009, 06:27:24 PM »
 Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone here has read this wonderful historical novel of China's literature and what Kingdom you love and support? Who are your favorite officers?

I loved and supported the Wu kingdom, but also enjoyed Shu and Wei's officers and Leaders.  As for officers, I enjoyed reading about Gan Nings(Xing Ba) battles and personality the  most.

One who knows the enemy and knows himself will not be in danger in a hundred battles. ~Sun Tzu's The Art of War~

Alexander1222

• Bronze Saint
    • View Profile
Re: Romance of the Three Kingdoms: A true chinese classic
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 06:57:26 PM »
I've browsed it a little. I must say--all the warriors seem to be the very definition of GAR before GAR was invented. That and an awesome storyline just kept me reading.

animemangakuryujiru

• Bronze Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 07:07:37 PM »
I've got a copy of the literature as well =] Its a really brilliant book I must admit, and even though Dynasty Warriors messed around with the story a little, you can still see the overall history in the game, which I'm a bit glad since it spreads around the knowledge of this unappreciated period in Chinese history.

I support Wu and Shu thats for sure, Wei has never been one of my favorites. My favorite officer has got to be Zhao Yun (though game-wise its Lu Xun haha) but Zhuge Liang is someone I probably admire and just like from out of the book. I personally love all his tactics and wits, especially his Empty Castle tactic which he used against Wei's army ^^

GallaxyOfIllusions

• Bronze Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 10:52:06 AM »
Zhuge Liang was definitely an unforgetable character of the story whose tactics proved that he was one of the greatest minds of times.  Near the end I admired his successor Jiang Wei a great deal for doing all that was in his power to keep Shu from crumbling internally and fending off Wei.  Stupid Liu Chan(A Dou)!
One who knows the enemy and knows himself will not be in danger in a hundred battles. ~Sun Tzu's The Art of War~

animemangakuryujiru

• Bronze Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 06:02:56 PM »
I SO agree with you. I probably dislike Liu Chan the most!! He destroyed the empire his father worked so hard to build and expand, the empire Zhuge Liang and Zhao Yun and many other officers fought so hard to defend!!

Zhuge Liang was much too loyal. He should have taken the empire away from Liu Chan but he hadnt, although Liu Bei gave him permission to. Tsk. Even the name Ah Dou sounds slightly cowardly, imo; suits him >:(

Annie77

• Bronze Saint
  • Serengetti's Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 08:15:03 PM »
I can't agree more about what you said.My favourite character is Zhuge Liang and Jiang Wei.In China we have a statement about them: "sheng bu feng shi". It means great person don't born in correct period.

Wei's leader Caocao is as famous as Mr.Kong Ming.Lots of chinese like him because of his literary grace and warlike exploits.

Have you watched the modern film <The Red Cliff>?It's all about this classic.

I find some videos related to TV play series 三国演义.The version made 20 years ago is the most famous one,the actors are well chosen especially Kongming and Caocao.

ZhugeLiang's hole life (MTV):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKmKIt6swwA

Empty Castle tactic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5CX4aVBjs4

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=three+kingdom&aq=f
Saga俺の嫁!

animemangakuryujiru

• Bronze Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 12:26:52 AM »
oooh yea!! I watched it haha Chi Bi right? =D Red Cliff...lol Though the sound of Chi is usually blood so i understand why they call it red xD Blood Cliff would just sound weird haha

I really love the movie, the war and tactics they use though I was slightly upset they did not stick altogether to history but I guess they have to be able to tell the story to watchers since most people dont know the history =( I hope the movie would promote an interest in it. I cant wait to watch Red Cliff2! <3 It just came out in my country and my parents have yet to buy tickets T_T

Annie77

• Bronze Saint
  • Serengetti's Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 01:56:04 AM »
The Chinese character"Chi赤“ means the color red ,so it's called Red cliff^^I watched the RedCliff2 last month in the cinema.Such grand movie deserves my paying.In the 2,you will watch the classic burnning scenes.I'm really excited about that><

Saga俺の嫁!

GallaxyOfIllusions

• Bronze Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 11:30:51 AM »
I can't agree more about what you said.My favourite character is Zhuge Liang and Jiang Wei.In China we have a statement about them: "sheng bu feng shi". It means great person don't born in correct period.

Wei's leader Caocao is as famous as Mr.Kong Ming.Lots of chinese like him because of his literary grace and warlike exploits.

Cao Cao has my respect as well for being a competent and learned man with the ability to amass talented men to his side.

Have you watched the modern film <The Red Cliff>?It's all about this classic.

I find some videos related to TV play series 三国演义.The version made 20 years ago is the most famous one,the actors are well chosen especially Kongming and Caocao.

ZhugeLiang's hole life (MTV):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKmKIt6swwA

Empty Castle tactic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5CX4aVBjs4

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=three+kingdom&aq=f

I have seen and own"Red Cliff", "Three Kingdoms: Resurrection of the Dragon", and the 84 episode tv series.  Sadly the movies have not come to American theaters, so I had to get them online, but it was worth it. :)

animemangakuryujiru

• Bronze Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 08:04:43 PM »
Galaxy: Omg! You have the series as well? xD haha I have it too lol I got my copy at Singapore =] You noticed that the actor they used for Zhang Fei in there was the same as the one they used for Red Cliff? xD  I guess they cant really use anyone else since that guy is probably the only one around who can imitate Zhang Fei correctly. I didnt really like Reusrrection of the Dragon though =(

GallaxyOfIllusions

• Bronze Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 09:00:10 PM »
Galaxy: Omg! You have the series as well? xD haha I have it too lol I got my copy at Singapore =]

Cool, I had gotten mine from Hong Kong.

You noticed that the actor they used for Zhang Fei in there was the same as the one they used for Red Cliff? xD  I guess they cant really use anyone else since that guy is probably the only one around who can imitate Zhang Fei correctly. I didnt really like Reusrrection of the Dragon though =(

Actually the actor for Zhang Fei is a different person , in the tv series the actor is  a man named Li Jingfei and in Red Cliffs Zang Jinsheng. 

They are also remaking the series in 2010!

animemangakuryujiru

• Bronze Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 12:23:05 AM »
Galaxy: Hm, really? =0 I guess I must have read the names wrong haha but they look so alike, in my opinion xD Yea I heard of the remake and I'm hoping it will be better since the old one was lacking in quality a bit =]

Annie77

• Bronze Saint
  • Serengetti's Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 02:18:02 AM »
膜拜……严重地膜拜……OTL....

Is the series you have dubbed or does it have subtitles?The ancient Chinese sounds graceful.

Yea I heard of the remake and I'm hoping it will be better since the old one was lacking in quality a bit =]

yes they are remarking ((just idol drama= =))
There are some posters :

http://she7ter.cn/viewthread.php?tid=670&highlight=%C8%FD%B9%FA
Saga俺の嫁!

animemangakuryujiru

• Bronze Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 04:05:31 AM »
Queeni: Well...I'm kinda disappointed with Zhao Yun from what you shown me =( Zhao Yun is supposed to be a warrior of amazing good looks according to old descriptions x_X

But Guan Yu looks pretty nice though...that actor does the face I imagined Guan Yu to have well haha I dont mind if its an idol drama as long as its good <_<; but if it isnt....then these idols fail D:

Annie77

• Bronze Saint
  • Serengetti's Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 04:55:07 AM »
My God,are you sure??

This is Zhaoyun:

This is Guanyu:
Saga俺の嫁!