Author Topic: The Dresden Files  (Read 2070 times)

WardenCarter

The Dresden Files
« on: June 22, 2008, 01:33:46 PM »
  Anyone ever read any of the Dresden Files novels by Jim Butcher? If not, don't shy away because of the tv series! The books are SO much better!  I read the first three in one day...I just could not put them down!
   If you are unfamiliar with them, I would put them in the "Urban Fantasy" genre. One book reviewer called it "kinda like Buffy the Vampire Slayer but with Phillip Marlowe."  The main character, Harry Dresden, is a private detective. He is also a professional wizard...says so right in his ad in the Yellow Pages!  There's comedy, romance, horror, several "what the *bleep*?!!?" scenes, and plenty of things (objects and creatures) going BOOM thanks to Dresden!
   Pick 'em up!

Shaina [シャイナ]

• Ophiuchus Gold Saint
  • Administrator
  • Awakened to the 8th Sense
  • A Heart for Ice Saints and Idiot Crabs
    • View Profile
    • Stayka's Saint Seiya Archive
Re: The Dresden Files
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 02:37:58 PM »
Sounds like something I would enjoy. I guess I shall try to catch one or the other of them!

Shainas Harem: Camus, DeathMask, Manigoldo + Dégel. Adopted: Shaina, Alberich, Hyoga, Jabu, Yato + Cassios.

Plantress

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Saint
  • A warrior of Gaia, Goddess of the Earth.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 09:12:07 PM »
I've read the first two books and I love them.  I have to admit I got curious about them because I saw the TV show first.  I liked the TV series as well.

MY Harem Saints: Shun and Shura
Saints/Specters I share: Aiolos, Aldebaran, Rune, Nachi, Black Andromeda, Black Dragon, and Kagaho
[I

WardenCarter

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 10:09:07 AM »
 *laughs* Now you can see where I get my screen name from!
  The books just keep getting better and better! There is a pretty intense love scene in the 5th book (I kinda wonder if his wife, who also writes but is more adult oriented, inspired the scene! *laugh*) so that book is the only one you couldn't give to anyone oh say under 16. Out of the 10 he has out (rumor is he's going to 20) my favorite is book 7 "Dead Beat" followed closely by book 4 "Summer Knight" and his last one book 10 "A Small Favor".
  A friend of mine got me hooked last summer and I passed them on to my 76 year old mom to read and she loves them!
  Plantress, if you get a chance, pick up the rest of 'em!! They are worth it! Oh and go to his website Jim-Butcher.com. He has a couple of free short stories. The longest one "Restoration of Hope" is his first meeting with Murphy! And then there is this little piece with just him and Bob the skull (Gawd I love Bob!!) talking about Harry's ad in the Yellow Pages! These are all set before the first book "Storm Front". Dable (sp?) Brothers, a comic company, is doing a Dresden Files comic which is scheduled for 4 books. The first two are out. They are set before "Storm Front" as well! (Harry's car is still ALL BLUE! lol)
  Jim also has two Dresden stories in the anthology books "My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding" and "My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon", and is working on another story set in the Dresden-verse but not with Harry. It is a character you haven't encountered yet. *SPOILER ALERT* Don't read those above books as they involve events you haven't read about yet!
  You really need to at least read the 3rd "Grave Peril" it is a MAJOR plot book!

redmangoose

• Has discovered the Cosmo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 02:42:46 PM »
I read the first 2 books actually. But then I got lazy and decided not to read anymore haha. I'm a slow reader and there's just too many of them out. There's like 10 now right?