SSF Forum Header by Shaina
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

111199 Posts in 4375 Topics- by 668 Members - Latest Member: r1nslet

December 20, 2014, 08:10:23 AM
Saint Seiya Fan Forums - The largest english Saint Seiya community!Saint Seiya FanSaint Seiya Fan ForumSeiyapedia - our own Saint Seiya Wiki
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 66
Print
Author Topic: Seiyapedia - our own Saint Seiya Wiki  (Read 90902 times)
Gomess

Silver Saint
View Profile
« on: April 30, 2008, 10:35:28 AM »

The only one in existence seems to be in Spanish, and as Wikipedia itself is full of errors (especially characters' debut episodes, which are often just plain wrong) and very image-light (considering how visual a series SS is; where are the Cloth schematics??), has anyone ever thought of starting up an English language SS Wiki? I mean, it seems to me there's enough folk on this forum to make a really complete one, and it might be a big draw for the site... =]

Ah, I know it sounds like a big undertaking, just a suggestion, and I have to admit I have no idea how to get such a thing started. ^^ More, I'm just wondering why no one seems to have made one! Especially when there's so many knowledgeable and enthusiastic fans around.

Julian Solo's favourite sauce.
Shaina [シャイナ]

Administrator
Awakened to the 8th Sense
Ophiuchus Gold Saint
A Heart for Ice Saints and Idiot Crabs
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 11:49:55 AM »

Hm... The idea sounds really cool. One would need to see if we can set up a wiki software on our server and then people here could fill it. As Tetsu is fed up with Wikipedia, this might be an interesting option. (I don't want to use any free wiki server as one never knows how long such will operate - it would be best to install the software on our own server as then we have the full control over it.)

Shainas Harem: Camus, DeathMask, Manigoldo + Dégel. Adopted: Shaina, Alberich, Hyoga, Jabu, Yato + Cassios.
Gomess

Silver Saint
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 01:20:05 PM »

Cool! I've been fed up with Wikipedia for a while too, and I'm sure if anyone could make it, this forum could. Heck, I *enjoy* writing character profiles and episode summaries anyway, so I'd contribute all I could =]

But yeah, like I said, I'd have to leave the more techy stuff to other folks, so I hope some interest is drummed up. ^^;

Shaina [シャイナ]

Administrator
Ophiuchus Gold Saint
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 01:23:32 PM »

Look here Smiley   http://saintseiyafan.com/Forum/index.php?topic=1954.0

Shainas Harem: Camus, DeathMask, Manigoldo + Dégel. Adopted: Shaina, Alberich, Hyoga, Jabu, Yato + Cassios.
Kuriboh
  Female
NankH Staff
Gold Saint
Au Palais de Verre
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 05:28:08 AM »

We'd vandalize the hell out of it, you know. We had a wiki on another site I frequented, and we ended up fixing most of teh vandalizm by just adding a section at the end of the articles FOR discussing/vandalizing/being stupid.

Harem: Mu+Shaka+Aphrodite+Dohko+Kiki

Gomess

Silver Saint
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 06:14:05 AM »

Haha, double-topic goin' onnn.

Of course vandalism's to be expected, that's part of the fun, but I think the internet deserves a reliable, informative and INTERESTING English language source of SS info.

Hope Tetsu notices this thread now, and maybe some more people get behind the idea... ^^

Tetsu Aero
  Male
Administrator
Gold Saint
Proud Stalker of Basilisk no Sylphid
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 06:47:16 AM »

Oh i'm all for it! Cheesy

Silence is of great profit.
An abundance of speech profiteth nothing.
Shaina [シャイナ]

Administrator
Ophiuchus Gold Saint
View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 07:07:47 AM »

Well, we need to upgrade the PHP4 of our server to PHP5 (hoping not to blow up the forum in the process), then we can install the wiki software. Please give us some days (and in the meantime salvage whatever you can  from Wikipedia before they kill it). As soon as we have the wiki up and running, I thought it might be a good idea to give you (Tetsu + Gomess) administrative privileges (or however they are called there) for the wiki, so that you can oversee it and if need be take action. (I suggested it to Newborn already, but I don't know if he was okay with it - I was plainly too tired yesterday -_-')

Gomess

Silver Saint
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 08:01:16 AM »

Sure thing, I'd be honoured! X]

Just let me know in this thread how the upgrading goes...?

Hey Tetsu, you wanna divide Wikipedia's SS coverage up between us? I've got most of the character data (birthdays, heights, weights etc.) already, so it shouldn't take long. =]

Tetsu Aero
  Male
Administrator
Gold Saint
Proud Stalker of Basilisk no Sylphid
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 08:08:58 AM »

I'd be most delighted Shaina ^^

Sure we can split it up, i have the articles from wikipedia that will soon be deleted so they are covered  pretty much, but they don't have the stats you mentioned because they were considered "fancruft". So i'm glad you have them ^^

Silence is of great profit.
An abundance of speech profiteth nothing.
Gomess

Silver Saint
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 09:44:43 AM »

Can I ask exactly what these "soon to be deleted" articles are? I don't exactly keep up with the Wikipedia community, and certainly don't use it for my SS needs... I just can't imagine what they'd perceive as needless info. Or is it more to do with copyright?

You wouldn't think anyone would care about the odd Troll Ivan mugshot... Now, the Aiolos/Aioros debate, sure. That's a paragraph of fluff right there!

What would the policy be on episode screen caps, then? I'm sure we could use them on the theoretical Wiki, as long as they didn't feature any subs (because the subbers might take issue with us using them)... They're just a heckuva lot easier for me to come by than manga scans (I own all 145 eps and 5 movies, but none of the manga!)

Shaina [シャイナ]

Administrator
Ophiuchus Gold Saint
View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 10:11:11 AM »

Well, as we do use the screenshots a lot here (eg funny screenshots thread) and the Wiki will be in no way official, I don't see any reason not to use screenshots of the anime.

Newborn [ニューボン]
  Male
Administrator
Acquired Seventh Sense
Admin of SSF
I'm back
View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 10:51:06 AM »

I would actually prefer to upgrade to php 5 today in a few hours.

I have been bombarded with makeup work and I think that will keep me busy for today and tommorow.

so i'd like to get the php thing done so I don't have to worry about it >.>

plus I need to leave today for a few hours and won't be back home till late.
but i'll be home for a little while after school ends =.

spoiler tag code
Code:
[spoiler]type here[/spoiler]
Shaina [シャイナ]

Administrator
Ophiuchus Gold Saint
View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2008, 05:20:02 AM »

Newborn has just started the setup of the Wiki.  That's how it looks so far. Tetsu, Gomess, you might already signup, so that we can see how we can give you the mod/sysop rights there. I wouldn't insert stuff yet as we are still in the setup process, and as long as that's not finished there might still be some glitches in the system.

http://saintseiyafan.com/stseiyawiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Van Fanel
  Male
News Master
Gold Saint
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2008, 11:17:16 AM »

Just 2 cents: Why not have it in different languages? Grin
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 66
Print
Jump to:  

//RMRK2 - DARK - Enhanced created by Silverline, From orange-lt by panic

[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]