Author Topic: Seiyuu/voice actor news + discussion  (Read 9021 times)

Maisunadokei1856

• Bronze Saint
    • View Profile
Re: Seiyuu/voice actor news + discussion
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2014, 11:00:40 AM »
It's so sad to hear such news about seiyuus, I liked most of them a lot ... I wonder if I can still listen to their recordings the same way.

Anyways, my absolute favorite seiyuu is Ôtsuka Akio, the one making Hades in his spectral form and original body. I actually rewatched Saint Seiya just to hear him at first, and I do not regret it since I discovered how much I like this series !

Raiden [雷電]

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • I am the Goddess of Death. Your life is forfeit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2014, 03:35:46 PM »
It's quite a surprise to see a Miyu Irino fan on these forums. He seems to be fairly unknown to several anime fans, even though he's been in practically everything. XD Kazuki Yao is another who people don't seem to know. It's probably not a surprise to the people on this forum, but I know every single seiyuu on that list~

I just have a problem with Daisuke Sakaguchi. ._.; His performance as Mikimaro in Sotsugyou M kind of ruined him for me. He sounds like an annoying, squeaky chipmunk in that role... and his singing always sounds like a chipmunk, no matter the role.

PS. My favorite seiyuu / voice actor is Takeshi Kusao... remember Hades arc Shura? Yeah, his voice. He was also Nachi in the original series and Jabu in Omega. My top-2nd and top-3rd places are actually ties between several seiyuu:

2nd place is a tie between Daisuke Hirakawa (Aquarius Degel in LC, filler Senbonzakura in Bleach) and Akira Ishida (Asmita in LC, Amor in Omega)
3rd place is a tie between Kenji Hamada (filler Hyorinmaru in Bleach, Killer and Inazuma in One Piece) and Sho Hayami (Baian in original series, Tokisada in Omega)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 05:01:37 PM by Raiden [雷電] »

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2014, 05:48:04 PM »
@Raiden I haven't watched Sotsugyou M so I can't really tell  but I tell you that Sakaguchi was brilliant in these shows.
Is Yao Kazuki really unknown to people? I am surprised as he seems to have a very unique voice that attracts you (well at least for me it did).
For me Hayami and Ishida don't have distinguishable voices, they are really good voice actors but for me they are one of the hundred others with the same voice. I know this isn't about how the voice sounds etc etc but for me is matters because it is another reason to compare the seiyuu.
Believe it or not I forgot to mention Kusao Takeshi. He isn't in my best list but still in my favorite one. :P
Ah sou da...I am glad that you know the people I have listed. Honto ni.

Raiden [雷電]

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 04:46:42 AM »
Sho Hayami is actually pretty famous for a highly distinguishable voice. ._. Even people who aren't seiyuu fans like me tend to recognize him if they hear him. ...He DOES tend to use the exact same voice for pretty much every role, but I like how he sounds completely creepy in villainous roles (like Aizen and Kazutaka Muraki), but somehow non-threatening and kind in non-villainous ones (like Osamu Sugo in Cyber Formula). ...And then there's the occasional role where he actually DOES change his voice... like Mitsuhide Akechi in Sengoku Basara. I've never heard Hayami sound that masochistic and kinky in my entire life. pfft

Akira Ishida is also weird. He used to sound very girly or timid in the past (he played Fish Eye in Sailor Moon and sounded like an actual woman), but in the 2000s he's learned how to use a much deeper voice. I think Ridvan from Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 3 is one of the deeper ones... Mekibos from Super Robot Wars OG isn't as deep, but it's certainly badass and kind of no-nonsense. http://www.4shared.com/mp3/llLTzpnD/Akira_Ishida_-_Dannoura_Nite.html <--- This here is his Ridvan voice, right before he dies at the Battle of Dan-no-Ura (he saved the main female character by taking a barrage of arrows in his back).

Also, I think Kazuki Yao's getting noticed more these days thanks to his One Piece roles. But before that? I don't think most of the fandom knew him since he was such an old school seiyuu - lots of series from the early 1990s, but seriously... who apart from us old school fans watches those? ._.; I still intend to watch Fuma no Kojiro, Dancougar and Beast Wars Neo because he played Sigma, Shinobu Fujiwara and Saberback in them. XD I also know him as Pastha from Angelique, Da Cider from Knights of Ramune, Zamielmon from Digimon Xros Wars, Iketani from Initial D, Takeda from History's Strongest Disciple, Kotone from Sakura Taisen, Dist from Tales of the Abyss, Hamel from Violinist of Hameln and obviously his One Piece roles and Harbinger. ...One of the funniest things about him is his laugh - it's spectacularly showcased when he plays Hamel, and I've dubbed it the best "screwball laugh" in the history of anime. When you hear it, your brain seems to shut down for a few seconds. XD

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 05:44:28 AM »
Akira Ishida is the one seiyuu that always sound the same yes except in some cases which he just have to have a deeper voice  but there is nothing special about him. There so many others that sound like him.
As for Hayami Shou well I think what you said when you recognize him is his deep and creepy (sometimes)voice. Still he is an actor that I have to make sure that it was indeed him so I have to look him up.Sorry that I can't be sure if it's him or not.

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Savior of Century's End
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2014, 10:09:41 AM »

Also, I think Kazuki Yao's getting noticed more these days thanks to his One Piece roles. But before that? I don't think most of the fandom knew him since he was such an old school seiyuu - lots of series from the early 1990s, but seriously... who apart from us old school fans watches those? ._.; I still intend to watch Fuma no Kojiro, Dancougar and Beast Wars Neo because he played Sigma, Shinobu Fujiwara and Saberback in them. XD I also know him as Pastha from Angelique, Da Cider from Knights of Ramune, Zamielmon from Digimon Xros Wars, Iketani from Initial D, Takeda from History's Strongest Disciple, Kotone from Sakura Taisen, Dist from Tales of the Abyss, Hamel from Violinist of Hameln and obviously his One Piece roles and Harbinger. ...One of the funniest things about him is his laugh - it's spectacularly showcased when he plays Hamel, and I've dubbed it the best "screwball laugh" in the history of anime. When you hear it, your brain seems to shut down for a few seconds. XD

He's fantastic as Shinobu from Dancougar. There's also BD rips available now, so it'd be a great time to to start watching.

Also, am I the only one who thinks Takehito Koyasu sounds the same in the vast majority of his roles?

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2014, 10:31:52 AM »
Also, am I the only one who thinks Takehito Koyasu sounds the same in the vast majority of his roles?
Yep but that's the awesome of him. He has a unique voice and you can tell right away who it is. :)
Also in my favorite list, I cant believe I left him out. I'm going to edit my list so I can add him lol. GVmanX arigatou.

Edited: Kusao Takeshi & Koyasu Takehito added to the list.

Raiden [雷電]

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2014, 08:57:26 PM »
I've actually started to find Takehito Koyasu boring. He only has two voices he uses: stoic and serious, and goofy. He has no range whatsoever. ._.; To date, the only serious roles where I actually like him are Wyvern Rhadamanthys, Shu Shirakawa, Ryosuke Takahashi, Aya Fujimiya, Aokiji, Black Shaft and his Gundam roles. ...Including one of his few roles where he goes all-out into large ham territory: Gym Ghingham. I also like him as Jade Curtiss in Tales of the Abyss, but Kirk Thornton outdid him in the dub (Koyasu's trolling as Jade kind of fails... he's an INCREDIBLY effective troll as Shu from SRW, though. I love Shu. XD). ...Though I have to admit, he does sound good in a few Quinrose otome games (like Arabian's Doubt and Romeo vs. Juliet... he fails in Alice in the Country of Hearts and Cinderella, though. But I will withdraw my opinion until I've watched the Alice anime ...Maybe he sounds better when Julius is animated.). Oh, and he's great as Olivie in Angelique, too... though Olivie's kind of funny. XD He's a crossdressing male model who wears make-up and dyes his hair half pink and half blond.
...Let's just say I find his stoic voices very boring. But when he's serious but still light-hearted at the same time, I really like him: good examples of that are Shu Shirakawa and Jared Balthazar (Arabian's Doubt). ...Shu especially. Heck, he sounds like a constantly amused troll whose allegiances are never clear to anybody. And he's awesome when he uses Granzon's attacks~ Like the Graviton Cannon and Black Hole Cluster. <3

You know Jun Fukuyama, the guy who played Kagaho in LC? ...I don't understand why the fandom loves him so much. :\ He tends to sound the same in most of his roles, too... the deep voices tend to sound better than his normal voice, though (Kagaho is great). I also find it funny how he can't really sing at all. XD He sounds really lackluster (I think his best song to date is from Kiniro no Corda 3... using his DEEP voice. Which isn't his real one. His real one sounds girly.).

PS. I forgot to mention, but my top-4 seiyuu would be Toshihiko Seki and Tomokazu Seki. They're both incredibly good - you can always recognize Toshihiko Seki, but his range is still much bigger than Koyasu's. And Tomokazu Seki is just incredible... he can go from a deep and manly voice (Manji, Rob Lucci) to a WOMAN'S VOICE (did that in a radio show, and mimicked Mamiko Noto at a convention ...Noto is Aria from Omega. Yeah, think about it. Virgo Fudou can sound like her.). They're also both fantastic singers - Toshihiko Seki has never sung a note off-tune in his life, even in live events. It's the same thing with Tomokazu Seki - he also sings a lot, I have 90 solo songs from him (in comparison, I have 75 from Kusao). And they both sound wonderful live~ SekiTomo doesn't even need to move a muscle as he just opens his mouth and belts out opera-level notes.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2014, 09:20:25 PM »
All the characters that Koyasu has voiced...well it looked like they were made for him or is it the other way around ? :P.
Yes it's a serious voice and stoic and like I said unique. You didn't like him as Veronica(guy with woman's name geez) from The Lost Canvas?Well your post says that you actually like Koyasu xD.
I don't like Fukuyama Jun and yes I like Kagaho from the Lost Canvas(liked the character not the voice actor :P ).

Thanks for reminding me Seki Toshihiko and Tomokazu. They are awesome as well and as usual I forgot to include them into my list. :O

There so many great  voice actors that is hard to remember them all at once. SSF Forums FTW. ;)

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Savior of Century's End
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2014, 08:21:46 AM »
Yep but that's the awesome of him. He has a unique voice and you can tell right away who it is. :)
Also in my favorite list, I cant believe I left him out. I'm going to edit my list so I can add him lol. GVmanX arigatou.

Edited: Kusao Takeshi & Koyasu Takehito added to the list.

I wouldn't call his voice unique; he sounds just like the late Kaneto Shiozawa when he voiced Rei from Hokuto no Ken in the vast majority of his roles.  I still like him, but that's really because he makes a good backup Rei voice.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2014, 09:17:48 AM »
No it's different and Shiozawa Kaneto had the same voice almost all the time so there's no role to confuse him with Koyasu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMetJrRb7Mk Shiozawa Kaneto....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygb8ReqYz_s Koyasu Takehito...

Listen to both, you can tell the difference.

Raiden [雷電]

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2014, 01:31:23 PM »
My nephew said Kaneto Shiozawa sounds like a creaky goose. XD ...Also, Takumi Yamazaki and Isshin Chiba sound nearly exactly like him - the former was even chosen to replace him as Aries Mu in the Hades arc. As for Chiba, he sounds like Shiozawa whenever he uses his deep and serious voice: Jin Kazama from Tekken, Koga Kuchiki from Bleach, Blurr from Transformers Armada.

...Aaaand I forgot to mention one seiyuu who shares my top-2nd spot with the other two: Kazuya Nakai. He voices three of my favorite characters from their respective series: Zoro from One Piece, Tres from Trinity Blood and Gaomon from Digimon Savers.

I also really like Nobutoshi Canna (Hades arc Camus, Omega's Argo) - he's got massive range, but he's still easy to recognize. He can go from hot-blooded guys (Axel Almer, Tasuki) to deep-voiced stoic badasses (Cao Pi, Camus) to psychotic jerks (Nnoitra Gilga) to cute teenagers (Randy from Angelique). That, and he's an extremely adept singer - he was supposed to have become a musician at first, but then the voice-acting got to him. You can see this whenever he performs songs during live events... he's got the mannerisms of a professional singer (especially noticeable during the E.M.U. concerts in 1995 - that was a seiyuu band formed of him, Hikaru Midorikawa, Ryotaro Okiayu, Hideo Ishikawa and Daisuke Sakaguchi).

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2014, 02:44:55 PM »
Yeah I don't like Shiozawa...hes one of the many. How could I forget Nakai Kazuya? Zoro, El Cid,Tres ,Witz(After War Gundam X) ,Hijikata Toushirou (Gin Tama), Date Masamune (Sengoku Basara),Suguro Ryuuji (Blue Exorcist) etc etc.
I don't know Canna Nobutoshi probably because I would have known him only from Saint Seiya. Needs further research :P

Raiden [雷電]

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2014, 02:59:18 PM »
Oh, Canna is actually really prolific. XD His original name is Nobutoshi Hayashi - he started in the early 90s and one of his first roles (I think his fourth ever) was Makoto Katagiri from Cyber Formula (my top favorite anime series, sharing that spot with Saint Seiya). His roles include:

Guts (Berserk)
Tasuki (Fushigi Yuugi)
Nnoitra (Bleach)
Examon (Digimon Xros Wars)
Lancer (Fate/stay night)
Kaze (Final Fantasy: Unlimited)
Ban Mido (Getbackers)
Kabuto (Naruto)
Volans Argo (Saint Seiya Omega)
Aquarius Camus (Saint Seiya: the Hades Chapter)
Axel Almer (Super Robot Wars OG)
Inferno, Shockblast, Unicron (Transformers Energon)
Basara Nekki (Macross 7)
Parn (Record of Lodoss War - he replaced Takeshi Kusao who voiced Parn in the first series)
Cao Pi (Dynasty Warriors)
Knuckles (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Leon Belmont (Castlevania: Lament of Innocence)

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2014, 09:32:23 PM »
Oh my is that really him? I didn't know and yeah those roles are pretty awesome. Hehe I am glad I found another fan of Future GPX Cyber Formula. Hayato and Asurada vs Kaga and Ogre FTW!, but yeah overall the series is amazing, I have watched all the episodes and OVA in two days. I was pretty hooked lol. It's sad tho that Saga and Shin series are still with HK English subs.My head was aching as those subs were not quite accurate and out of place in some occasions.