Author Topic: Twilight  (Read 7790 times)

Phyrra

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Camus x Phyrra <3
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Re: Twilight
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2008, 08:17:25 PM »
Hm... it always seems like I'm always on the short end of the stick.. oh well.  I hate when people read only part of a book and already starts bashing...

Her flaws aren't really minimalized.  Because of her clutzy-ness, a couple of things happened.  Such like her birthday.  That wasn't forgiven lightly.  Or Edward wanting to protect her from her own mistakes. 

One thing explained in a college english class is:  Get to know your audience.  A lot, almost every writer I've read, has put some relation in their characters, whether it's a relation of someone they know, themself, or their audience.  Anne Rice based Lestat (the main character) as who she wants to be.  Nathaniel Hawthorne based House of Seven Gables (the purpose of the book) on his own home.  Stephanie Meyer just decided to base Bella (the main character) on her readers.  They are all Mary-suers?

Alright... the 'Love me' thing... it's only to one guy, and he's the same as well.  It's how they story is, teen love.  All a teenager ever really thinks about is their date...  yes, it was a bit much, but oh well.

There were many things in work there.  One, she was prepared for it.  She knew what could happen, and did not want to become like that.  Two:  She had support all around her.  Three:  Those around her who were not vamps, were those she's loved.  Jacob (although he smelt like a wet dog), her daughter (in which did not smell food appealing, but candle appealing, and her father whom she loved.   Of course she didn't want to cause harm to them.  She even slipped up almost!  But got distracted in the woods.  And the coming back to life with Edward's venom, Esme went through the same thing.  And CPR does wonders.
Carlisle succeeded as a newborn.  Roselie killed for the only intent of revenge, not newborn hunger.

Back in his day, Edward probably had no interest in women.  The only reason for Bella is because her blood was enticing to him to drink.  Not everyone has to fall in love before their 17.  My bro is the same way and he's almost 19.  There are people out there like that.

Bella may have a few crushes, but she does not go for them, only one guy, Edward.  And Roselie didn't like her through pretty much the whole series.  She's even lost quite a few friends.

Renesmee...
Yes, a compound name, but is my sister an automatic Mary-Sue with the same middle name as my mother?  My middle name is a compound of my grandma and my mom's best friend.  ... but then again, you call me a Mary-Sue anyways. >.>
And any child or infant is always loved by those around it.  My sister's newborn for example.  We all consider him a perfect newborn child.  And Renesmee still had people disliking her.  Amun didn't want anything to do with her.  Of course Caius didn't.  The Romanian coven wasn't there for the child, only there to see the de-throning of the Volturi.
Yes she was born after 2 months of conception.  Still unclear on that.  But I don't think the book could have been drawn out through 2 or so years...  Some stories are weird like that.  Especially FANTASY!!

But people are always entitled to their own opinion.  I'm just sticking to mine.

As Kuri had said, Quil would be and do anything for Claire, just to make her happy.  If he needed to step down for another guy to make her happy, he will.  But he will always be there for her.

I'm a coward, because I love you too much to let you go.

torquemada

• Apathetic Senior
  • Has discovered the Cosmo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009, 01:24:38 AM »
I only saw the movie. It didn't suck as horribly as I expected, was rather boring and had no plot whatsoever. Of course, if I found R.Pattinson good looking, I may have perceived it differently, if you know what I mean...;)

The movie also has no logic - unless you apply Vampire the Masquerade rules to it. Cullens are textbook Malkavians, the evil trio is Sabbat Gangrels, and everything starts to make some sense.

scorpiosgirl

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
    • Art Page
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 01:36:07 AM »
I like watching the movie, but I don't like reading the book. It's too long to read and I lose interest real quick.

Pisces_Aphrodite

• Bronze Saint with powerful Cosmo
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 05:25:01 AM »
Hm I have read the first and the second book.
They are really great!
But long, very long!
Hm in my opinion the movie isn`t so good.

AriesMu188

• Gold Saint
  • Teleportation Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • Mu's Corner
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 09:14:34 AM »
I haven't read the Twilight books but I love vampire stuff. I'm a Vampire Chronicles fan, and I love Vampire Miyu, how does it compare?

Plantress

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Saint
  • A warrior of Gaia, Goddess of the Earth.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2009, 10:40:01 AM »
Twilight is more of a typical shallow romance novel than a vampire novel.  The vampire aspect is really only used to play up now different, mysterious, and special Edward is.  With him occasionally angsting about how he wants to drink Bella's blood, then never doing anything about it.

MY Harem Saints: Shun and Shura
Saints/Specters I share: Aiolos, Aldebaran, Rune, Nachi, Black Andromeda, Black Dragon, and Kagaho
[I

Chu_Chulainn

• Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2009, 06:10:04 AM »
Bella's child - Was born about 2 months after conception.
Bella's child - Is/was perfect and could take care of itself.

I'd like to know how a dead body that 'never changes' was able to help out makin' Bella's baby. I mean, didn't he say that there's no changing of their bodies, but how did a corpse get somebody pregnant?

That's not even possible in Twilight-Universe. They are defying their own logic.

OR HELL, MAYBE THEY'LL FALL IN LOVE AND LIVE HAPPILY EVER AFTER LIKE EVERYONE ELSE IN THIS GOD DAMNED BOOK.

You're right about that. Everything and everyone has a happy ending in that book. Especially with the super downer supposed negotiation war scene that 'ended on a high note'.

Also, I hate her concept of vampires. I'm far more fond of the Victorian/Anne Rice/Stoker type of vamps.

At least they could die in the sun.

Phase I: Haseo - The Terror of Death
(.hack//GU)

scorpiosgirl

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
    • Art Page
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2009, 10:59:08 PM »
I'm not a fan of Twilight though, I just agree with my cousin just to shut him up. If I want to read some vampire books, I'll stick with the Vampire Kisses series thank you very much.

Chu_Chulainn

• Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2009, 06:18:04 AM »
I think a lot of people read Twilight out of curiosity or coercion from their family members/friends. In my case it was friends cause no one in my family knew about it.

I've heard of that Vampire Kisses story I think. Isn't that a manga? Eh. I like Vampire Knight regardless of the incestuous relationship.

(.hack//GU)

Plantress

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2009, 01:09:40 AM »
The library I go to had several copies of Twilight displayed on the shelves when I went to check out my books. I thumbed through one, and it struck me that Bella really never did anything to earn the love and adoration she gets in that first book.  All she seems to do is exist and everyone starts going off about how special and beautiful she is.   

Saints/Specters I share: Aiolos, Aldebaran, Rune, Nachi, Black Andromeda, Black Dragon, and Kagaho
[I

Chu_Chulainn

• Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2009, 01:01:19 PM »
All she seems to do is exist and everyone starts going off about how special and beautiful she is.   

I think that's a decent summary of her character.

(.hack//GU)

estrella

• Has discovered the Cosmo
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2009, 03:10:43 AM »
I have read books 1-3. They were ok to read, pretty simple to read. I read them all through pretty fast. They were ok to read, I prefer Anne Rice books though. I liked the Jacob character though. (the werewolf)

Plantress

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2009, 02:49:32 PM »
I think that's a decent summary of her character.

To me it seems rather sad that a main character can be summed up like that.  When I read, I read for the characters in the books.  Even though it's told from first person, you get to know so little about Bella's character that I couldn't find myself concerned about anything she was doing.  I know Meyer has said she wrote Bella that way purposefully so that teenagers could project themselves into her place, but to me it just seems like lazy writing with Meyer trying to find an excuse for it. 

[I

Phyrra

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Camus x Phyrra <3
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2009, 12:41:36 AM »
I myself enjoyed the books very much.  They looked long but I blew through them in 2 days.  Maybe because they are intended for young adult.
But not so much the movie.  It was okay, but left so much out.  I didn't really like any of the actors and actresses.  Who would star in a movie, based on a book in which they hate?  Makes no sense, and thus it showed their acting was horrible.  The only one really into it was the guy who played Jacob.  My only concern of him was that he wasn't truly Native American.  He has some blood, but doesn't most of America now?  At least my family still has the tribe and their lands. >.>  ...but too bad none of my cousins are good looking enough to play as an actor. XD XD XD

And yes, Anne Rice is a much better authoress.  I love her books enough to collect them. (first printings/first editions/autographed/etc) 

another sort of vampire series I enjoyed that was in the Twilight section (young adult section) was Night World by LJ Smith.  Short stories that connect together with vampires, werewolves, witches, humans.  Mainly based on the Soulmate Principle.  Anybody read it?

I'm a coward, because I love you too much to let you go.

Plantress

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2009, 11:33:35 PM »
I've never read that series before, although I see it all the time at Borders.   As long as they don't include any of that stupid 'love at first' stuff that Twilight seemed to based on, I might try them.  I do believe in true love...but not it happening right when you meet someone.  To me love has always been something that takes time to build between to people.  Having it happen the moment they meet seems lazy and cheapens the experience for me since I can't believe they truly are 'in love' when they've known each other less than a week.

Although I voice my opinion about Twiligh vocally, in the end I usually try to respect other peoples opinions.  I don't mind if someone likes Twilight...it's when they start claiming Meyer is the 'OMG BEST WRITER EVER', or saying that only people who have never read the books hate them, then I truly start to get annoyed.

[I