Author Topic: Twilight  (Read 7800 times)

Roheryn

• Bronze Saint with powerful Cosmo
  • Pearlescent Fire
    • View Profile
    • Musings of a Roh
Twilight
« on: March 25, 2008, 07:37:07 PM »
Anyone else a fan of Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series?
I absolutely LOVE them, and can't WAIT for the fourth book to come out

Plantress

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Saint
  • A warrior of Gaia, Goddess of the Earth.
    • View Profile
Re: Twilight
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 09:04:59 PM »
I've read the first book, and got halfway through the second...but I really didn't find either of them that interesting.  I might finish it someday.

MY Harem Saints: Shun and Shura
Saints/Specters I share: Aiolos, Aldebaran, Rune, Nachi, Black Andromeda, Black Dragon, and Kagaho
[I

Roheryn

• Bronze Saint with powerful Cosmo
  • Pearlescent Fire
    • View Profile
    • Musings of a Roh
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 07:12:01 PM »
I finished all three in five and a half days?

absolutely fell in love

Plantress

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 11:47:14 AM »
I don't find them that good.  Bella is a mary-sue who claims she's plain yet has five guys panting at her heels, Edward is a creepy stalker who stands outside her window watching her sleep.  Plus the vampires sparkle.  In the sun.   

Plus there's the fact that Bella's relationship with Edward is ..unhealthy.  It's like Edward is her sole reason for living, which I find rather disturbing.

Saints/Specters I share: Aiolos, Aldebaran, Rune, Nachi, Black Andromeda, Black Dragon, and Kagaho
[I

Phyrra

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Camus x Phyrra <3
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 02:57:45 PM »
Ah yes!  I just finished reading the first in less than 2 days.  I really liked it.
I was told by many people to read it, so I finally gave in, not really one to go with the crowd.
I think some people might consider Bella a mary-sue, even though I'm not exactly certain how.

I'm a coward, because I love you too much to let you go.

Plantress

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 12:43:02 AM »
Because Bella is rather unrealistic and I could never get a feel for her personality even though the story was written in first person.   Besides, the author has stated she wrote Bella in way that would allow whoever was reading the book in the place of Bella, which is why she could not describe her.   

Personally, I think that Bella is rather superficial since she fell in love with Edward just because he was hot.

[I

Phyrra

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Camus x Phyrra <3
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 11:07:39 AM »
I also think she fell in love with him just out of curiosity as well.

Plantress

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 12:42:55 AM »
I could see her getting a crush on him out of curiosity, but she was saying it was love.  That's different in my opinion. 

I think one of the things about Bella the bugs me so much is that Edward was her whole reason for existence. It's like she can't be a real person unless Edward was around.  I don't find the idea of her having no life outside of her boyfriend very realistic or healthy.   I remember reading part of the second book and thinking how stupid she was being with Edward no there.   If I remember correctly she was even willing to take her own life just to hear Edwards voice again.   That really made me not connect with her.

[I

Phyrra

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Camus x Phyrra <3
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 08:50:28 AM »
Hmm... I have yet to read the second book.. (stuck in the middle of nowhere without a bookstore.. x.x)
I must admit that I acted like that when I had a boyfriend... actually, more like I would melt when he was there and was out of character myself... sadly... I'm trying not to this time.  But I guess you can say I connect with her in that sense... I don't know..
But my one critique I had for the book was that it was too quick in the the sense of Bella and Edward...  like, what happened to school and everyday life?  It just completely centered around them too much... needed a breather.

Plantress

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 02:08:39 PM »
Yeah, I think the whole relationship between Edward and Bella happened way to fast.  I didn't feel any sort of chemistry in their relationship beyond them declaring they were in love with each other.  I think it would have been nice if there had been more plot to the book and their relationship had been developed using that.

[I

Phyrra

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Camus x Phyrra <3
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 11:33:26 AM »
Maybe Edwards obsession to keeping Bella safe. XD
Did you go to a Twilight book party for the coming out of Breaking Dawn?  I did. ^.^  It was pretty cool.  Except they were going to do a wedding sequence.. but Edward didn't show up. >.>  I guess he didn't want to be mauled by all the fangirls.
And I finished reading Breaking Dawn in 2 days.  I thought it was pretty cool... glad it ended the way it did because we don't need any more slaps from that book. @.@
[spoiler]My one question was, how could Renesmee grow so quickly, and then stop aging at 7 years?  Is it the mixture of human (for growth) and vampire (for ending growth at maturity)? Too much of a growth spurt I'd say.[/spoiler] DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T READ BREAKING DAWN

Plantress

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008, 12:02:19 PM »
Sorry, but Edward might have been trying to keep Bella safe, but he was going about it in all the wrong ways.   He came off as being abusive and controlling to me.   He was stalking her, kept reading her friend's minds to spy on her, and telling her who she could and could not be friends with.  Him doing that out of love does not make it okay.

Bella's baby was a creepy...thing.  Sorry, you will never convince me of anything but that.  I may have only read the summaries but I do not want to read that book now.   Plus Bella has been confirmed to be a mary-sue in my mind.  Suddenly becoming a better, sparklier vampire than everyone else made me want to smack her. 

Am I the only one who find the werewolfs imprinting ON BABIES so completely and totally wrong?  That is not romantic, not at all.

[I

Phyrra

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Camus x Phyrra <3
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 11:48:17 AM »
Oi... I don't understand everyone's fascination of bashing Mary-Sues now.. v.v  She's not perfect, she's not a mary sue to me.  I guess after reading this book, I understand a few things.
I thought it was weird of the imprinting at first.  But if the wolves can pretty much stop aging, it alright.  And it not like it's pedophilia.  Quil even made it clear that he didn't think of 2 year old Claire in such a way.  He was a protector, brother, friend, anything for her if that was what she wished.   It's not a romantic thing at the time.

Plantress

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 05:16:23 PM »
No she isn't prefect, but her flaws are all minimized in the books.   All her flaws are not treated as flaws, but instead as something special about her.  Her mistakes are all forgiven and everything turns out all right in the end.  She does not learn from them.   To me, that is what makes a mary-sue.  Someone who is treated as being the most special, best, person in the world when they are not.

But when Claire gets older, what will happen?  Will he be willing to let her fall in love with someone else?  Or will everyone be saying she has to love him because he imprinted on her when she was too young to have a choice in the matter?    That doesn't seem fair or romantic to me.

[I

Kuriboh

• NankH Staff
  • Gold Saint
  • Au Palais de Verre
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008, 10:07:07 PM »
I read part of Breaking Dawn. You realize their whole relationship took less than 18 months, yes? Also, EW. FUCKING EW. NEVER LETTING SISTER READ THIS. EVER.

Bella - is never really described because, as Ms MAyer said, SHE WANTED THE READER TO IMAGINE THEMSELVES AS HER. If that doesn't scream 'MARY FUCKING SUE,' you're deaf.
Bella - is adorkable, often used in the "LOVE ME LOVE ME" Stereotype of Sues.
Bella - did not go insane after vampirization.
Bella - is also a 1337 awesome vampire chick hunter queen.
Bella - is loved by everyone.
Bella - MELTED THE HEART OF A HUNDRED-AND-A-BIT YEAR OLD VAMPY WHO HAD, APPARENTLY, NEVER LOVED ANOTHER WOMAN IN HIS LIFE.
Bella - came back to life with Edward's venom when she SHOULD HAVE STAYED DEAD.
Bella's child - Was born about 2 months after conception.
Bella's child - Is/was perfect and could take care of itself.
Bella's child - has a compound name - a standby of sues.

I'm sorry, hon. BELLA SWAN IS A MARY SUE.

RE: Quil and Claire: He said he'd be whatever she needed, so I don't think he'd have much of a problem if she started boning another guy....unless said other guy broke her heart or something. OR HELL, MAYBE THEY'LL FALL IN LOVE AND LIVE HAPPILY EVER AFTER LIKE EVERYONE ELSE IN THIS GOD DAMNED BOOK.

Also, I hate her concept of vampires. I'm far more fond of the Victorian/Anne Rice/Stoker type of vamps.
Harem: Mu+Shaka+Aphrodite+Dohko+Kiki