Author Topic: RPG Topic  (Read 9157 times)

Paurie

RPG Topic
« on: January 28, 2008, 02:19:29 PM »
I'd just like to know what kind of Role Playing Games everyone likes~  Or maybe what RPG you're currently playing.

I'm a big fan of the Final Fantasy series, my first being VIII.  Because VIII was my first, I had no reason to complain about the "draw" system because I wasn't used to "MP" and such.  But faves of the series are:  IV, VI, VIII, XII, and Tactics.

Other RPGs I love are:  Magna Carta, Star Ocean III, .hack//, Kingdom Hearts, Odin Sphere, Radiata Stories, Xenosaga, Chrono Cross, Parasite Eve, Lunar, and Legend of Dragoon.

Currently playing through Odin Sphere, the first game where I actually enjoy hearing the characters TALK.  (Sorry, but I've always prefered just reading instead of voice actors for games) 

Plantress

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Saint
  • A warrior of Gaia, Goddess of the Earth.
    • View Profile
Re: RPG Topic
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 03:35:28 PM »
Final Fantasy VIII was my first Final Fantasy too. XD  Aside from the Final Fantasy games,  I like Kingdom Heats, Xenosaga, and Legend of Dragoon.    I have Raditata Stories and Star Ocean III but I have yet to finish those.

For RPG's I have to mention the Shadow Hearts series.  I love these three games but they don't seem to get much love.  Maybe it's the judgment ring system, since that can be frustrating at first.

MY Harem Saints: Shun and Shura
Saints/Specters I share: Aiolos, Aldebaran, Rune, Nachi, Black Andromeda, Black Dragon, and Kagaho
[I

Paurie

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 04:18:06 PM »
Oh, I'm familiar with the second Shadow Hearts game~  I watched a friend of mine play a great deal of it.  Seems that whenever I went to visit her, she was always playing.  Kinda annoying for me, having to sit there and watch, but I enjoyed the scenes.  :3  It was pretty exciting when she beat it here at my house.  (That's right, she even brought it over to MY house to play  XD)

I've only finished the first Xenosaga, and still playing the second.  I REALLY want to start on the third, since it looks so... pretty....  But I know better.  ><  I luff Kos-mos so much in those games.  <3

And I haven't finished Radiata Stories either, but Star Ocean III ... has some pretty boring endings in my opinion.  I haven't seen them all, but so far...  My favorite is the one where Fayt is with Albel at the end of the game.  X3  Very amusing. 

Plantress

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Saint
  • A warrior of Gaia, Goddess of the Earth.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 04:22:51 PM »
The second Shadow Hearts game is my favorite out of all of them.   The first Shadow Hearts is good too, but it doesn't have the best graphics.   Third game is good, but I get annoyed with the fact they were being very obvious with the sex appeal in it, and they messed with the fusion system.

MY Harem Saints: Shun and Shura
Saints/Specters I share: Aiolos, Aldebaran, Rune, Nachi, Black Andromeda, Black Dragon, and Kagaho
[I

Gemini Saga

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 06:43:24 AM »
Atelier iris 1,2 & 3.

Baten Kaitos

The Breath of Fire series.

Dragon Quest VIII.

Final Fantasy III (nowadays considered VI) otherwise, the FF series mainly blows.

Legend of Legaia 1 & 2.

The Lufia series.

Skies of Arcadia (both original and Legends)

Star Ocean 2 & 3 (2 being the absolute #1)

The "Tales of" series, although I haven't played all of them but of the ones I have, they are all great.

Steamrollers solve all - 無駄-駄!

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Za Warudo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 07:25:22 AM »
You're partly right about the Tales series, Saga.  Supposedly the DS one isn't that good.  That being said, I've played (and beat) Symphonia and Phantasia,a nd they're both incredible.

And you're forgetting Chrono Trigger.  That game is the pinnacle of RPGs... and supposedly also about the life of Jesus Christ, if you believe this website.
Harem includes: Hilda, Elly, Esmeralda, Morrigan Aensland, Lilith Aensland, Franziska von Karma, Adrian Andrews, Ema Skye, and Athena Asamiya
Shared: Minos, because HildaXMinos rocks
Adopted: Fenrir and Bud.
http://www.pixelscapes.com/sailornothing/ <- Not mine, but a holy grail amongst fiction.

Tetsu Aero

• Administrator
  • Gold Saint
  • Proud Stalker of Basilisk no Sylphid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 11:00:16 AM »
Ooh i think you would really  enjoy Bahamut Lagoon Paurie ^^
It's made by Square, and has a blonde who really acts like a blonde aswell in it.
And a perverted old man who goes for the main male character xD

Golden Sun is another great RPG gotta love it! <3

I havn't played so many Final Fantasy, but my first one was the demo to VII. Though my favourites are IV,V,VI and the XIII series looks really promising =3

I also love the Crystal Chronicle's series. And since the first time i saw the trailer for the Crystal Bearers, i just thought i couldn't be happier ^^

Silence is of great profit.
An abundance of speech profiteth nothing.

Paurie

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 11:32:12 AM »
I played Chrono Cross before Trigger, and sadly haven't beaten Trigger yet.  I always "start over again" and eventually stop playing... and repeat.  Lucca is awesome though.  D:  <3

And I've never seen Bahamut Lagoon.  :c  That's for the PS1 right?  There's only one store in my town where you can get PS1 games now.  XD;;;  And it's usually just a hand full.

As for XIII, I'm not keeping up with it.  I'm still overwhelmed with how many "XIII" titles there are gonna be.  :\  I like the idea that Nomura is back doing the character design though.     

Tetsu Aero

• Administrator
  • Gold Saint
  • Proud Stalker of Basilisk no Sylphid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 11:43:54 AM »
Ooh Bahamut Lagoon is for SNES actually. Though it was never released outside of Japan. But has been translated by fans and can be downloaded as rom ^^

Nomura was gone?! o.o
So that's why most of the designs in XII was so bad.

Lightning's design in XIII is quite stunning, first time i've ever thought girl's clothes to be good looking xD (ish non straight btw)

Having three titles just adds to the fun ^^
Though i'm rather confused as why square ensists on making mobile games >=o

Silence is of great profit.
An abundance of speech profiteth nothing.

Paurie

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 11:54:04 AM »
Aw, the main characters in XII weren't that bad.  XD  Akihiko Yoshida is actually very good and, to me, has a few different "styles" he uses when doing character designs.  I've seen his characters for FFTA2(WHY?!?!) and the characters are very detailed and colorful.  ^^  I'll admit I had the same reaction as you when first seeing the XII cast.  XDD 

Labbul Luca

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 07:11:28 AM »
 :pandora: i always got stuck when playing ff and worst i easily got lost hehehehe

Paurie

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 07:20:33 AM »
That's what the internet's for?  XD  I got lost in many places in FFVI.  But it's easier to get lost in the older ff games than the newer ones to me. 

Gemini Saga

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 06:38:41 PM »
I forgot to mention the Wild ARMs series as well.

Labbul Luca

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 01:51:37 AM »
@ paurrie :kiki: no the newer one is more complex hehehe the old one is simple i get to face most of the last boss ff I,II,III,IV,V,VI but never won always got beat up

aquarius_camus11

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 11:02:03 PM »
I haven't played any RPG's in a while... I guess technology and new systems moved up faster than my next paycheck.

My favorite RPG is, hands-down, Xenogears.  It's the prequel to Xenosaga.  I've played XSI & II and it's fun, but XG is waaaaay better.  Well, if you're a graphics-nut, it won't be, but I like to play a game with a good story, and I think XG really reads like a book.  Great game for the PS1.  Good ol' PS1.

I've played Final Fantasy 4, 6-10.  I have FF5, but somehow never played it.  I like FF6 because Locke rocks my world, and FF4 was the first FF I played, so I end up re-beating it all the time (I can clear out all the treasures in the final dungeon without a strategy guide while doing my homework, I've played it so much).  I like FF7, but I'm not crazy about it.

I like Lunar too, but I've only played the Lunar The Silver Star Story Complete and Lunar Eternal Blue Complete (or whatever that one's called -- I didn't like it that much) for PS1 (not the original).  I hear they're different.

Oh, and another great one for re-play value is Vagrant Story.  That game is extremely obnoxious unless you cheat, but it has a solid storyline and lots of unlockables you can only access after beating the game once.  I've beaten it lots of times, but I never get around to the unlockables.

And Chrono Trigger also belongs on here.  :)  I kinda recently beat Chrono Cross, but it wasn't nearly as entertaining.

Instead of buying new games, I think I just cycle through the above games every five years or so.  You really forget a lot when a game is like 70+ hours of gameplay.