Author Topic: Which language(s) do you speak?  (Read 26049 times)

kensh1ro

• Bronze Saint with powerful Cosmo
    • View Profile
Re: Which language(s) do you speak?
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2011, 08:52:24 PM »
English and... and... um... that's it. :emo:
But, I did take 3 year-long Spanish classes in high school and pretty much the same German 101 twice in 2 different colleges.*

I wasn't confident enough for 102 and the admissions guy I got at the second college said that they wouldn't count the first German class, i.e. it wouldn't transfer. Yeah, right.

yukii

• Has discovered the Cosmo
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2011, 08:15:34 AM »
i can speak arabic its my mother language..and a little english ...
Allah, I have no freedom, but I believe in You. I am free.
Allah, I have no patience, but I read Your Quran. I am calm.
Allah, I have no time, but I think of Jannah. I have forever.
Allah, make "la ilaha illAllah" my last words in this life ♥

Niello

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2012, 10:56:20 PM »
I know Thai and English. In speaking I'm more fluent in Thai and in writing it's English.
Although Thai is my first language I can't spell most of the more complex words because I hardly write in the language nor can I type it with a reasonable speed... which is a reason why I ended up in this English SS forum rather than the Thai one.  ;D

Other than that I used to study Chinese and then give up to study Japanese instead. As a result most of the Chinese I learned is basically gone.  :-.-:
For Japanese I still have a long way to go. I hate kanji.

There is a language I plan to learn more about even if it doesn't have much use at all and that is Hymmnos  :kiss:

PiscesCaballero

« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2012, 05:27:12 PM »
I can understand Tagalog very well to the point I can converse if the other speaker can understand basic English. I have a very hard time speaking it as of now (not in the future, I'll be spending more time with the local Filipino community).

I also took basic French in High School and got an A. I remember enough French to read basic paragraphs.

Thrudgelmir2333

• Writing with my heart, always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2012, 05:33:36 PM »
Portuguese and English. Ironically, I think I know more about English than I do about my own native language. I also took three years of French in middle school but I remember very little of it.

Ritsuka

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2014, 04:19:46 AM »
*reviving the defunct*

I speak Brazilian Portuguese as my mother language and English is my second language. Also, I know a bit of Japanese, being between basic and intermediate level of knowledge.
As for languages, I would like to improve my Japanese someday, and also learn French. It's a really beautiful language. :)

I would like to learn a bit of German and Korean as well.

About Korean language itself, I'm not into the "Hallyu" thing. Maybe I'm too old for this. But I do sympathize with korean things here and there, just I only lurk them very sporadically.

As I read somewhere: 20 years later it was cool to be Japanese, now it's cool to be Korean. Maybe, in the next 20 years, it will be cool to be Chinese.

WotaYagi

• Silver Saint
  • 「これは運命だから」
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2014, 05:21:16 AM »
English is my first language, and I'm learning Japanese. I'm much better at speaking Japanese than actually reading it (Kanji are a complete pain). I also learnt a bit of Italian here and there, most of which I have now forgotten, and during this one point of my life where I did tae kwon do as part of the grading system and such we had to learn the Korean words for everything as well, so I knew a whole bunch of random words in Korean... it literally did nothing for any of us there.

I also think that German and French would be pretty cool to learn, and I kinda want to pick up Italian again.
You can just call me Yagi.

[insert better signature here]

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2014, 05:39:56 AM »
Hmm..let's see, since we are talking about speaking I should include this even tho it's still the same language.. I can speak English(US) first language, English(UK), Greek(GR),Greek(CY)kinda closer to Ancient Greek, Italian, French and German ( even tho I would prefer not to..because it sounds such a rude and cold language..no offense). I can also speak and read Japanese but not so good at writing it...it's a pain.. -_- U

Ritsuka

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2014, 11:25:40 AM »
English is my first language, and I'm learning Japanese. I'm much better at speaking Japanese than actually reading it (Kanji are a complete pain). I also learnt a bit of Italian here and there, most of which I have now forgotten, and during this one point of my life where I did tae kwon do as part of the grading system and such we had to learn the Korean words for everything as well, so I knew a whole bunch of random words in Korean... it literally did nothing for any of us there.

I also think that German and French would be pretty cool to learn, and I kinda want to pick up Italian again.

Kanji is the only thing which difficults Japanese language itself. To only learn to speak Japanese, judging by its grammar and simple structure, isn't so hard at all.
This is why I have no interest in learning Mandarin and whatsoever. Kanji for every single word and a tonal language. Seems very hard for me.

Italian seems cool as well.  :) I would love to travel to Italy someday, it's a beautiful country with a lot of history, together with Greece.

Hmm..let's see, since we are talking about speaking I should include this even tho it's still the same language.. I can speak English(US) first language, English(UK), Greek(GR),Greek(CY)kinda closer to Ancient Greek, Italian, French and German ( even tho I would prefer not to..because it sounds such a rude and cold language..no offense). I can also speak and read Japanese but not so good at writing it...it's a pain.. -_- U

Wow, that's a lot! What means "CY"?

I think German is also a beautiful language. I got used to it by listening German goth artists, since Germany's goth scene is one of the biggest of the world in the genre.
At first I felt the same about German, and a lot of people think of this language as "rude" and "cold", I can see why. Also, people tends to make a bad relation with Germany's past.
But I really like and appreciate their language and culture. One of my dreams is to attend World Gotik Treffen festival someday.
Think of it as some kind of gothic "woodstock" which happens every single year.

This is a cool and beautiful goth song sang in German: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQGe5uLQxQo
It's influenced by Japanese Visual-kei style.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2014, 12:41:17 PM »
1.Wow, that's a lot! What means "CY"?

2.I think German is also a beautiful language. I got used to it by listening German goth artists, since Germany's goth scene is one of the biggest of the world in the genre.
At first I felt the same about German, and a lot of people think of this language as "rude" and "cold", I can see why. Also, people tends to make a bad relation with Germany's past.

1. CY stands for Cyprus...an island in the Mediterranean Sea that speak Greek but with different dialect and have many many Ancient Greek words...more than the mainland itself.

2. There is nothing beautiful about their language..and speaking of being rude and cold language..they are also rude and cold (not all of them of course but mostly). Their past has nothing to do with that, I could care less about that. Anyway a few days ago I was in Germany and I had a little incident with a family. When the plane stopped I stood up to get my things from the overhead storage bin they didn't wait for me to finish what I was doing instead the father pushed me away then the mother made sure I was still there so she can pass with ease and then the two daughters roughly 16 years old gave me the elbow (accidentally of course).... all in all they didn't even bother to apologize to me.

Not to mention that they slammed the door in my face at a store...I was right behind someone and that someone just slammed the door and he did see me...the funny thing is that the person who was behind me told me that I should have waited for the man was was at the front to close the door completely and that I shouldn't be hasty and then I could open it...where is the logic in that? Sorry but I don't like how Germans think.

I got more about my adventures in Germany but...I rather not talk about everything...

Ritsuka

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2014, 01:21:07 PM »
Ah, I'm sorry. I didn't know your background.

How unpolite and unpleasant way to be treated! It sucks, really!

I had a Brazilian clasmate at my University who is directly descending from German immigrants and he also is rude and cold, but as you can stereotype any culture in the world and being unpleasant with this, I try to not stick with stereotypes. Of course, sometimes they can be true.

Ironically, it was Germany which ended with the brazilian World Cup dream. ^^" Not that I give a... about the World Cup itself, even if it's hosted in my country and at the city where I live.

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Savior of Century's End
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2014, 07:13:23 PM »
I'm sure it's just bad luck with people, Seiya.  I know plenty of folks who've had lovely experiences with Germany and their people; the only time I've heard that kind of stuff is about the French.  Though if you have a lot of tales, that is a bit odd.  I know Germany hasn't been especially fond of Greece in recent times due to the financial stuff and the EU.  You think that might have to do with it?

As for me, I speak English and... that's it.  Most of my experience with dealing with other nationalities has either been Mexicans, Gambians, or Nigerians.  About all I can say about that is that they're people. 

Ritsuka:  Didn't they force lots of people to move so they could build that stadium?

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2014, 09:31:53 PM »

Ironically, it was Germany which ended with the brazilian World Cup dream. ^^" Not that I give a... about the World Cup itself, even if it's hosted in my country and at the city where I live.

Oh yes, I know that! I am a big fan of Soccer, well..in a few sports (Football/American Football for the rest of the world, Baseball, Water Polo and Freestyle/Greco-Roman  Wrestling).  Germany is a tough team to beat and let's not forget they also won the World Cup before, Argentina is strong too so it's a 50/50...however you say Brazil and the first thing that pops in your mind is Soccer..so for me even tho they lost with such a big difference they will always be the best country in Soccer! *He is a big fan of Brazil*.

I know Germany hasn't been especially fond of Greece in recent times due to the financial stuff and the EU.  You think that might have to do with it?

I don't think so..I mean how could they possibly know that I am half Greek, I don't even look like one...

GVmanX

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Savior of Century's End
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2014, 10:15:48 PM »
That's what I figured, Seiya.  Just trying to keep the possibilities open.  How was the food there, BTW?

I never really associated Brazil with soccer all that much until I started reading Captain Tsubasa.  That hammered it home pretty quick.

Seiya

• Gold Saint
  • 絶対神オリンピック
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 10, 2014, 10:27:42 PM »
The food was awesome, I have no complaints xD. Beer was good too :P

Captain Tsubasa is awesome! that's an all time classic manga, it's still ongoing in case you didn't know. I am quite surprised that you didn't know that Brazil and soccer go together :P

You don't know Pele? the one who is called the king of soccer?