Author Topic: Which language(s) do you speak?  (Read 26050 times)

Newborn [ニューボン]

• Admin of SSF
  • Administrator
  • Acquired Seventh Sense
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
    • Saint Seiya fan
Re: Which language(s) do you speak?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 03:48:39 AM »
I can fluently speak English and spanish ^_^

I can understand portuguese, french and italian when read. but not spoken XD

I'm learning japanese and so far I have all my katakana and hiragana down :D
spoiler tag code
Code: [Select]
[spoiler]type here[/spoiler]

ryuusei86

• Bronze Saint with powerful Cosmo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2008, 03:10:25 PM »
English is my native language, for which I'm pretty lucky since I hear it's one of the hardest languages to learn.

I took German for many years in school, have forgotten a lot of vocabulary but it's no problem to read it, aloud or to myself.  I bet if I went to Germany for a while, it would come back to me pretty quickly.  I wish I could pick it up again since I always loved German -- it seemed so much more logical to me than English.  Even the way the verb at the end of the sentence goes, makes sense once you used to it become.  :D

Speaking of the verb going at the end of the sentence, I would love to learn Japanese too, but I haven't made it past the kana and a small smattering of kanji.  Every once in a while I'll be watching anime and a really simple sentence will get spoken, and I'll understand the whole thing as opposed to a word here and there.

I can read Russian and Hebrew, but that's as far as it goes with either of them.
Please feel free to call me Jack or R86.  :)

IcePhoenix

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2008, 06:25:06 PM »
Do dialects count? I speak the local excuse for English pretty well, in addition to the normal stuff. ;D I'm taking German classes, but I only know enough to completely butcher the language. As several Germans pointed out to me while I was in Germany.

imnotgaydammit

• Has discovered the Cosmo
  • Made of AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • My livejournal
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2008, 04:52:28 AM »
 I speak English fluently, and I can understand enough Spanish to get me by.

Don't ask me to try and speak Spanish though, I can't pronounce anything very well. X.X

When I was young, my mother tried to teach me Gaelic but I didn't stick with it and thus do not speak any. (It doesn't help that she was learning at the same time! We both fail at learning the language of our motherland! DX)

Ruuku

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2008, 07:00:51 PM »
I guess I forgot to answer this. I can speak French, English, and Haitian Creole fluently. I'm close to being fluent in Japanese and German. I can understand Spanish and a lot of Latin.

Shaina [シャイナ]

• Ophiuchus Gold Saint
  • Administrator
  • Awakened to the 8th Sense
  • A Heart for Ice Saints and Idiot Crabs
    • View Profile
    • Stayka's Saint Seiya Archive
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2008, 12:21:25 AM »
Wow! that's amazing!

Ich bin besonders beeindruckt, dass Du offenbar auch Deutsch als Fremdsprache gelernt hast - jeder, der sich daran versucht, hat meine volle Bewunderung! (Japanisch natürlich auch :D)

Shainas Harem: Camus, DeathMask, Manigoldo + Dégel. Adopted: Shaina, Alberich, Hyoga, Jabu, Yato + Cassios.

SuzukaShin

• Saint in Training
  • I own the Donut Cloth and lead the Pastry Squad :0
    • View Profile
    • DA
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2008, 01:32:01 AM »
I can speak Portuguese and I'm fairly fluent in English and Spanish.

I can somewhat understand written French and Italian too and I can get some basic Japanese.
I'm a sig. :0 Srsly.

Ruuku

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2008, 09:02:36 PM »
Wow! that's amazing!

Ich bin besonders beeindruckt, dass Du offenbar auch Deutsch als Fremdsprache gelernt hast - jeder, der sich daran versucht, hat meine volle Bewunderung! (Japanisch natürlich auch :D)

Well, I grew up in the french part of Switzerland until I was 15 and we had to learn German from 5th to 9th grade. I kinda forgot most of my German when I came to the US but I'm getting it back. As for Japanese, I chose to learn it in college and I should be getting my Asian Studies certificate when I graduate. I do appreciate the fact that you're impressed. German grammar is really tough compare to all the languages I've been learning.

Shaina [シャイナ]

• Ophiuchus Gold Saint
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2008, 03:26:24 AM »
Ah, so you had a little more German at school than I had French (from 7th to 10th grade). But I have to admit that I'm happy that I had German as native language - I wouldn't have wanted to learn our complex grammar as foreign language, and that's why I admire all foreigners who rise up to that challenge!

Shainas Harem: Camus, DeathMask, Manigoldo + Dégel. Adopted: Shaina, Alberich, Hyoga, Jabu, Yato + Cassios.

Van Fanel

• News Master
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2008, 03:56:09 AM »
:cassios: : Ich bin ein Baboon! ;D

Ruuku

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2008, 02:30:51 PM »
I want to learn a Slavic language next. ^_^

Shaina [シャイナ]

• Ophiuchus Gold Saint
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2008, 10:43:11 PM »
:shaina-excalibur: Talk about the German language split into http://saintseiyafan.com/Forum/index.php?topic=2108.0

scorpiosgirl

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
    • Art Page
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2008, 08:42:21 AM »
I can speak English since its my mother tounge. I know some spanish, because of my dad and little bit of japanese.

Varnani

• Saint in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2008, 06:51:00 PM »
I speak Spanish (mother tongue), English, Portuguese, Italian and very basic Japanese (i must continue though, 'cause i dropped it due to university reasons)

razz

Rama Olendris

• Bronze Saint with powerful Cosmo
  • Watashi ha watashi sore dake
    • View Profile
    • Rama Olendris's Art
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2009, 04:22:28 PM »
My native language is English but I studied Japanese for 7 years. I'm not fluent but I can get by. I want to learn as many languages as possible.
emit hcum oot evah uoy neht, siht daer nac uoy fi.