Author Topic: Chinese names  (Read 12717 times)

Raven - レイベン/孔無

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese names
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2007, 06:30:36 PM »
I don't know about Cantonese, but in Mandarin Chinese, all characters have one-syllable sounds.
Is your name Mandarin or Cantonese, Endy?

Himeros

• Still thinking of a Custom Title :)
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2007, 12:10:35 AM »
In mandarin, all letters have 1 syllable. And usually with a meaning. In China, there r many dialects, depending on the areas. So, 1 word/letter can be pronounced differently (duh!) My name is in Mandarin. But a Cantonese can pronounce my name in Cantonese and it will sound totally different. Yup, my name has 3syllables: Lo Yin Chi (maybe not in correct Chinese alphabet - but it sounds that way). All Chinese names have 3 syllables. The front is always family name (my family name is Lo). The rest behind is proper name. So my Chinese name is actually Yin Chi. If u want to read it in American way (last name put in behind) it will be Yin Chi Lo ^_^

Phyrra

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Camus x Phyrra <3
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2007, 12:03:56 PM »
Oh, okay.  What does your name mean in mandarin chinese?
I have this one paper that has my name in chinese.  It takes up 3 characters.

Mel

I'm a coward, because I love you too much to let you go.

Himeros

• Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2007, 10:58:30 PM »
@Mel: U have ur name in Chinese? (Endy blinks). Is it the Mandarin form of Mel? I dont know what my name means. Each word has its meaning (and different meaning if they were joined with other words). My family name Lo, if it's given the Gold prefix, it means a GONG (I hope u know what a gong is ^_^).

Btw, George W Bush's name is PUSSY in Mandarin! :D  Coz Mandarin knows no actual B sound. B is pronounced P. Mandarin also doesn't know any word ending in Sh sound. So they add an I, becomes PU-SI which sounds more like PUSSY ^_^ It fits him if u ask me :D

Khrazah

• Silver Saint with powerful Cosmo
  • Demon Wench of the Underworld
    • View Profile
    • Artsite
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2007, 11:55:42 PM »
@ Endy cracks up at the bush comment , HAhAHA, only in America can you have a Bush and a Dick in office. XD.

I don't know my name in Chinese but I know my nickname in Japanese lol not hard to figure out XD.
:khrazah: :minos:

Phyrra

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Camus x Phyrra <3
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2007, 12:03:13 AM »
LOL  That's too funny. XD
If I get the chance, I'll get the paper scanned and see what you can read from it.  If it's correct.

Mel

Khrazah

• View Profile
    • Artsite
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2007, 01:38:52 AM »
You'll have to go to the library to get it scanned, it seemed like Grace's scanner was on the fritz.

Phyrra

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Camus x Phyrra <3
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2007, 01:43:26 AM »
Really?  That sucks. v.v  Oh well...

Mel

Khrazah

• View Profile
    • Artsite
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2007, 01:44:40 AM »
I think where just trailing each others comments lol, oh well, yea it almost ate my sketch of Minos-chan that I did, its all grainy.

Himeros

• Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2007, 04:59:52 AM »
Do u know that for the Chinese, name is sacred? Wrong name means bad luck. If a baby gets a wrong name, the baby will get sick. My mom's friend's baby daughter was sick when she was born. My mom then suggested a new name. And afetrwards the baby gets better. I know it sounds rather mystical.

Anotehr exmaple: Taiwanese president at the present is named Tzen Sui Bien (I dont know the correct alphabet). HIs name Sui sounds similar to water's 'sui'. And Bien sounds like the other bien which means to churn. So his name is disastrous: churning water. A few years ago (maybe 5?), in Taiwan, there was a BIG flood. Water swept away many people. My mom was there coz she worked as a domestic servant at that time (I know, it's sad time). SHe said the tv there broadcast a live event which showed a whole family being washed away as flood broke the walls of their house. Some blamed the president for his disastrous name.

A.H.

• Has discovered the Cosmo
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2007, 10:44:37 PM »
i didn't know chinese names had such special meaning to people. It is sad that the pinyin is different than what is sopken, but that is life. My chinese teacher doesn't like that most chinese teaching teachers don't bother with tones, it's her pet peeve.
The world is  lost in an endless spiral of colors, elements, binds, and love.

AuroraExecution

• NankH Staff
  • Silver Saint
  • A flower blooms among the wreckage.
    • View Profile
    • Wanzhong Fansubs
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2007, 08:34:32 AM »
Actually, Endy, your name should be in Cantonese, or Fukianese.  "Lo" is not a Mandarin pronunciation of anything.  It is most definitely dialectical. 

Just to throw this out there--if you are not Chinese, Chinese people cannot say your name "in Chinese."  They have to make up a new one either based on the sounds of your name, or on the meaning of your name.  I can make Jaclyn (English) into Jacqueline (French), but in Chinese, it would have to be something completely different.  I'd probably make a given name of Jie Ling, but that's my own opinion. 

And Mel, Endy's name is simple partly cause it's in dialect.  All the names you wrote are in Mandarin. 
Profile pic from eLouai's dollmaker at http://www.elouai.com

My lyric translations: http://www.freewebs.com/kikipixie

The Epic has come!  The Arcadavia Menasui Webcomic: http://www.freewebs.com/arcadaviamenasui

Qin's Moon fansub: http://community.livejournal.com/wanzhongsubs

Ikki

• Acquired Seventh Sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2007, 03:40:55 PM »
My Chinese name is Pei Gao Zhang.

Himeros

• Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2007, 01:56:00 AM »
@Ikki: U r a Chinese too? I dont know...

@AE: In Mandarin, actually my last name should have been pronounced Luo. Indeed, my aprents speak of otehr dialect at home. And Luo becomes Lo.

Raven - レイベン/孔無

• Silver Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2008, 12:24:31 PM »
Btw, George W Bush's name is PUSSY in Mandarin! :D  Coz Mandarin knows no actual B sound. B is pronounced P. Mandarin also doesn't know any word ending in Sh sound. So they add an I, becomes PU-SI which sounds more like PUSSY ^_^ It fits him if u ask me :D
Not true, there is a "Bu" sound in Mandarin. For example, the character for "not" (bu, 4th tone), is clearly pronounced "Bu". Bush would become something like "Bu Si".

Or, are you using Wade-Giles romanization?