Author Topic: Chinese names  (Read 12721 times)

Himeros

• Still thinking of a Custom Title :)
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
Chinese names
« on: October 23, 2007, 02:44:27 AM »
@Saphy: Ur real anme is saph? Interesting. I never heard such name. Where r u from? :D Welll for those who wonder about my name, Endy, is derived from English Andy. But in Indonesia, Andy is pronounced diferently. So my name Endy is basically has the same pronounciation as the ENglish Endy. Im a Chinese and I have my own Chine name which I dont knwo how to write it in alphabet. But I think it's : Lo Yin Chi - Lo is my last chinese name).

Phyrra

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Camus x Phyrra <3
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Chinese names
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 05:10:00 PM »
@ Ikki:  We can tell. XD
@ Endy:  That's your Chinese name?  It sounds cool.  Simple actually compared to some of the names I've seen in my art history class. XD

Mel

I'm a coward, because I love you too much to let you go.

Himeros

• Gold Saint
    • View Profile
Chinese names
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 11:38:48 PM »
@Mel: Im not too fond of my chinese name. Maybe coz I've never heard another Yin Chi. I dont know what it means either. Chinese name is very important. My mom believes that if a baby is given the wrong name, she/he will get sick. What kind of complicated chinese name do u learn in class, Mel? :D

Phyrra

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Camus x Phyrra <3
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Chinese names
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 12:24:19 AM »
Names such as Xia Gui, Zhang Zeduan, Qian Xuan, Gao Qipei.  All of them chinese artist. ^.^  But I think Chinese names are very pretty.  I remember an elementary joke of chinese parents throwing coins in a well and whatever sound they make is the name of the child.

Mel

Himeros

• Gold Saint
    • View Profile
Chinese names
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 02:41:49 AM »
@Mel : LOL Tell me about the coin joke. I never heard it. U should visit the Chit Chat and look for another Riddle thread or so. It's for silly jokes and riddles. Well I dont know any of those artists :) But we Chinese have pronunciation different from alphabet. Strangely some pronunciation is very weird. For example: Bao is supposed to be pronounced like Pao in Chinese but why do they write it Bao with capital B?

Phyrra

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Camus x Phyrra <3
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Chinese names
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 06:21:42 PM »
That's really weird pronounciation.  In my art history class, they pronounced the names in such an American way, it was annoying. v.v  I would just mumble under my breath the correct way to say the names.

Mel

Himeros

• Gold Saint
    • View Profile
Chinese names
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 06:55:00 AM »
@Mel: Huh? U know the correct pronunciation of Chinese alphabet names? I dont know why the Chinese use B to pronounce P. They should hv asked me to help them design the alphabet :D The same happens here. Chinese words follow the original English alphabet. And those who cant say chinese, they pronounce it in Indonesian way which the same as ENglish. They will still literally pronounce BAO instead of PAO.

One weird Chinese alphabet is the word D. Example: DING. It should hv been TING in Chinese pronunciation. Ding and Ting sound WAY different...

Phyrra

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Camus x Phyrra <3
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Chinese names
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 03:43:16 PM »
yeah, that does sound different.  I only know the pronounciations because my previous art history professor went to these places and pretty much spent his life studying it.

Mel

Himeros

• Gold Saint
    • View Profile
Chinese names
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 12:01:44 AM »
@Mel: Wow, then u can read Chinese much better than other non-Chinese people in the world! :D But I hate Chinese letters coz they have 3-4 different letters for the same C sound.  WHy did they make trouble themselves by variating that C sound? Duh!

Phyrra

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Camus x Phyrra <3
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Chinese names
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 12:17:00 AM »
They want to seem sophisticated and have the complicated language. XD  The Chinese seem to try to out do things.  Especially their art.

mel

Himeros

• Gold Saint
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese names
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 01:16:10 AM »
The ancient chinese were indeed weirdos :D in term of complexity. The most valued lesson was poem recital. I watched chinese kung fu movies that showed ancient Chinese set. A scholar who could recite poem was suitable to be high-ranked officials (duh!) Supposedly it means they're wise and had broad mind (double duh!)

Phyrra

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Camus x Phyrra <3
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 12:22:48 PM »
that sounds interesting.  I can never read it but, I see chinese writings on some of the paintings.  It's actually very pretty.

Mel

Himeros

• Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2007, 11:57:49 PM »
Chinese words are actually pictograph in ancient time, just like egyptian hyelograph (whatever ^_^) Each word was represented by a drawing. But as they evolved, the letters evolved too. For one word, it has undergone several evolution. If u r into chinese art and culture, Im sure u know this already ^_^ My writings sucks but I can write my name :D It's a must....

Phyrra

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Camus x Phyrra <3
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 03:09:09 PM »
I didn't really learn the much of the evolution of calligraphy in my college courses, but I did learn of it in 6th grade.  I remember that. I thought it was really cool.  How many characters does your name have?

Mel

sushimaster

• Silver Saint with powerful Cosmo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 04:33:01 PM »
must be three, right? 1 for Lo, 1 for Yin, & 1 for Chi  ;)