Author Topic: Metal/hard rock music fans... your favorite bands? Recommendations?  (Read 16925 times)

Dragon Shiryu

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • 天暴星ベヌウの輝火
    • View Profile
Children isn't 'real' death metal = way too much melody...
Ok, bands I like, bands I like (thinks)
A lot of bands obviously, but off the top of my head:
- Aborted
- Amon Amarth
- Anthrax
- Apocalyptica
- Arch Enemy
- Ayreon
- Battleheart (funny)
- Children of Bodom
- Cradle of Filth (only live)
- Dark Tranquility (!!!)
- Darkthrone
- Dream Theater
- Eluveite
- Emperor
- Ensiferum
- Finntroll (!!!)
- Gorgoroth (new)
- Iced Earth
- Immortal
- In Flames (live)
- Iron Maiden (live)
- Joe Satriani (more of a jazzy-tone though)
- Korpiklaani
- Kovenant
- Kreator (older songs)
- Lacuna Coil (certain songs)
- Lamb of God (later songs :P)
- Malmsteen
- Manegarm
- Megadeth (older songs)
- Metallica (older songs: everything after album5 = run away)
- Ministry (live)
- Moonspell (live)
- Morbid Angel (live)
- My dying bride
- Nightfall
- Nightwish
- Opeth (!!!)
- Pantera (when I'm in an 'oldies'-mood ;D)
- Rammstein (funny)
- Rose Tattoo (weird but good)
- Satyricon
- Sepultura
- Slayer
- Stratovarius
- Swallow the Sun
- System of a down
- Testament
- Therion
- Tristania
- Trivium
- Vader
- Vinternatt
- Vintersorg
- Vreid
- Watain

Probably forgotten a bunch... I have to add that I mostly enjoy metal live (some groups I only listen too live, which I mentioned in the list).
I mostly like Black and Folk - metal, but (melodic) death, symphonic, thrash, power and good old heavy will do as well :).
Dislike: pure death, industrial, certain nu-variants.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 08:51:27 AM by Dragon Shiryu »

IcePhoenix

Demon Hunter, anyone? Maybe not true death metal, but still a pretty heavy sounding band.
Nightwish
Disturbed
Within Temptation
Dragonforce
Rammstein
I think that's all I listen to with any regularity. . .

Aiorius

• Bronze Saint
  • the flames of Troy will shine bright
    • View Profile
Children isn't 'real' death metal = way too much melody...

Probably forgotten a bunch... I have to add that I mostly enjoy metal live (some groups I only listen too live, which I mentioned in the list).
I mostly like Black and Folk - metal, but (melodic) death, symphonic, thrash, power and good old heavy will do as well :).
Dislike: pure death, industrial, certain nu-variants.

haha... I love you. <3
I like pure death (like death and obituary).... industrial and nu-metal can deal without.
ぼく は アッテナ の セイント だ よ!

don't you find it funny how otakus refer themselves as "sama, san, chan..." when they are not supposed to?

Dragon Shiryu

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • 天暴星ベヌウの輝火
    • View Profile
Obituary has its moments, I agree :).
Nu-metal is a sub-genre too broad for its own good imo. Certain variants work pretty well (funk & metal for example, especially the drums) and other just plain suck...

Aiorius

• Bronze Saint
    • View Profile
I really hate Lamb of God.

I'm going to see Darkest Hour the 5th.

I like funk/fusionjazz-metal. Like Atheist. I also like wierd crap like Unexpect and really orchestrated music..like Opera-metal like The Diablo Swing Orchestra.

but I love your list, dude. It's very similar to mine. Melodic Death and Black Metal to the bone.
ぼく は アッテナ の セイント だ よ!

don't you find it funny how otakus refer themselves as "sama, san, chan..." when they are not supposed to?

Dragon Shiryu

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • 天暴星ベヌウの輝火
    • View Profile
I didn't like Lamb of God either, until I heard their last album (Sacrament).
Some truly great songs (Walk with me in Hell = brilliant (despite the cheesy titel), nice doom/black mix with a bit of industrial effects)
If you haven't heard it yet, give it a try (and let me know how it turns out) :)

Aiorius

• Bronze Saint
    • View Profile
I actually have it. lol. and....well, didn't like it.
I even saw them live with Megadeth in Gigantour 2006(?). I almost fell asleep to them... I don't really like their guitar work...i don't know. I did crack the hell up when he said..."let's go!...and walk with me... (deep voice) IN HEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLL" and it's now a inside joke between me and my friends. I much rather Arch Enemy, The Black Dahlia Murder, Himsa over them.
ぼく は アッテナ の セイント だ よ!

Orion18

Very nice material u guys are listening to Dragon and Aiorius. If u looking for some well made extreme, intense and great lyrical composition i suggest u get a hold of some Nile albums, they are all a master piece. Also Eclypse is sounding really solid and true to death metal nature.

Dragon Shiryu

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • 天暴星ベヌウの輝火
    • View Profile
Eclypse is a bit too 'rigid' imo... They don't touch any new ground so to speak.
Never heard of Nile before... After my final exam (Friday) I'll go check them out in the Metalzone (cd-shop where they have about everything :P)

Orion18

Eclypse is a bit too 'rigid' imo... They don't touch any new ground so to speak.

Agree, tho it still makes me happy that some people are still trying to mantain the true deathmetal scene. It does sound like some other bands, but i still like the energy they invite people to feel.
     Havent heard Nile yet?, itll blow u away, i know i cant get enough of it. Just to suggest one of their albums: Anhilation of the  Wicked. But any of them will certainly make your day :), Enjoy !

Aiorius

• Bronze Saint
    • View Profile
nile is amazing. how did i forget about them. I haven't heard eclypse though.
ぼく は アッテナ の セイント だ よ!

Aiolia

I can go with 'almost' any band except those from the black metal genre family, from 'ancient metal gods' like Sabbath and Priest to some metalcore, half emo type, band like Bullet for my Valentine. Metal represents freedom for me so as long as I enjoyed the music, I'll go with it. Some bands that I'd recomment as I love them (hahaha ...) includes Slayer, Arch Enemy, Disturbed, Pantera, Priest, In Flames and many more ...

Valora

I am not a metal / hard rock fan but I have discovered Nightwish from a member of this forum.  Nightwish is play over and over again on my computer.  It all started from that one music video with the song, Nemo and I wash hooked.  I never thought I would like it but I do.

lordthanatos

Amon Amarth
At the gates
Megadeth
Testament
Pantera
Sepultura
Soilwork old
Evergrey
In flames old
Opeth
Katatonia
Shape of despair
daylight dies
Cult of luna
ISIS
Neurosis
Machine Head
Bloodbath
Death
Slayer old
Down
Crowbar
Anathema
Slowdive
Bathory

Dragon Shiryu

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • 天暴星ベヌウの輝火
    • View Profile
      Agree, tho it still makes me happy that some people are still trying to mantain the true deathmetal scene. It does sound like some other bands, but i still like the energy they invite people to feel.
     Havent heard Nile yet?, itll blow u away, i know i cant get enough of it. Just to suggest one of their albums: Anhilation of the  Wicked. But any of them will certainly make your day :), Enjoy !
Very late reply,ut just for the heck of it: Nile is great :)
Thanks for recommendation!