Author Topic: Anne Rice and her Vampires  (Read 9133 times)

Phyrra

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Camus x Phyrra <3
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Anne Rice and her Vampires
« on: October 30, 2007, 12:16:47 PM »
(sorry for taking forever to reply to this one ^.^;;)
@Shaina:  I enjoy reading fanfics that have a lot of pages per chapter, with the long paragraphs.  I also enjoy the stories where it's mainly about the cannon characters, not really in the OC's point of views or about them.  Here's an example of one I really like, Chronicles of Ermengardis : http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2617920/1/
I also like the ones that really catches their personality, or shows them in a different light that is actually believable.  Like the ones that make me cry. ^.^

Mel

I'm a coward, because I love you too much to let you go.

Shaina [シャイナ]

• Ophiuchus Gold Saint
  • Administrator
  • Awakened to the 8th Sense
  • A Heart for Ice Saints and Idiot Crabs
    • View Profile
    • Stayka's Saint Seiya Archive
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 12:25:37 PM »
I see.  The story that you listed looks way too much AU for my taste (I neither like stories that are too AU or Xovers) - so I guess we have fundamentally different tastes in stories ^_^

Shainas Harem: Camus, DeathMask, Manigoldo + Dégel. Adopted: Shaina, Alberich, Hyoga, Jabu, Yato + Cassios.

Phyrra

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Camus x Phyrra <3
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 04:38:51 PM »
Yeah, I suppose so.  I'm not one for xovers either.  I was surprised to find this one a 'not exactly xover but references' to Anne Rice's Vampires.  It has vamps in it, and one of them is named Marius (although Marius will never have the personality this fan fic author portrays him as).  My opinion. 

Mel

Shaina [シャイナ]

• Ophiuchus Gold Saint
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 06:57:15 PM »
Well, I usually don't mind vampires (Shavana/Makoto and I even wrote three novel-length stories about vampires (albeit in German)), but somehow I never liked Anne Rice's stuff. ^_^

Shainas Harem: Camus, DeathMask, Manigoldo + Dégel. Adopted: Shaina, Alberich, Hyoga, Jabu, Yato + Cassios.

Himeros

• Still thinking of a Custom Title :)
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 05:46:06 AM »
@SHaina: Wow u write novel length stories. Wow! U must have enjoyed it :) I did just finish writing about vampire. Eeer... gay one... (Endy coughs) .... in adult scene

Speaking of vampire, I really enjoy the movie Dracula. U know, the one with Winona Ryder in it? It's not too scary but it kept me captivated. And its music is very haunting...

Phyrra

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Camus x Phyrra <3
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 06:21:28 PM »
@ Shaina:  Why don't you enjoy Anne Rice's writings?  Personally myself, I love her vampires, and I have her Sleeping Beauty trilogy.  But I'm not going to read her Christian writings..  or her sudden 180 degree turn away from vampires.  Of her vampire chronicles, I love Armand. ^.^
@ Endy:  I enjoy Dracula as well.  Watched it when I was younger and it scared me.  (But so did Interview With The Vampire ^.^;;) *smirks*  Endy wrote a naughty scene? ^.~
Mel

Shaina [シャイナ]

• Ophiuchus Gold Saint
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 06:27:37 PM »
@Mel

I find her writing style boring. I couldn't even finish "Interview with a Vampire" and gave up somewhere in the middle as I had to force myself to go on, and that's not what I find enjoyable.

Phyrra

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Camus x Phyrra <3
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 06:34:25 PM »
Yeah, there were parts that were a bit slow, but I love how she just captured their emotions and thoughts.  Like people usually believe vamps as careless killers.  But Louise, Armand, Marius.. all of them weren't (except for Azim.. farther in the series).  They showed still human emotions, and their fears.  Armand questioning if he would be able to have that eternal sleep of death, and if God would still accept him for who he is.  All of them experiencing the feeling of abandonment and wondering if they can truely be loved.
Sorry for the rambling.. ^.^;;  I get really into the series.

Mel

Shaina [シャイナ]

• Ophiuchus Gold Saint
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Anne Rice and her Vampires
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 06:41:24 PM »
(so, now the topic is separated from Mako-chan's presentation)

Well, I guess that is very much what I dislike there - IMHO Vampires *are* merciless killers. The Anne Rice Vampires were much too romantically sugarcoated.

Phyrra

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Camus x Phyrra <3
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 07:13:50 PM »
(sweet!)
I suppose so.  But I don't consider it sugarcoated.  Romantic, yes, but not sugarcoated because it's not all candies and flowers for them.  What's IMHO?  Sounds familiar, but don't know..

Mel

Kuriboh

• NankH Staff
  • Gold Saint
  • Au Palais de Verre
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 09:05:18 PM »
Anne Rice is an astoundingly dry author, but I love her characters, which Is why I managed to slog through Interview, and am looking to grab a copy of Lestat sometime soon.
Harem: Mu+Shaka+Aphrodite+Dohko+Kiki

Valora

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2007, 09:43:10 PM »
Not much of an Anne Rice fan but I have read two of her vampire books.  I remember reading Interview with a Vampire in school.  Another one I read recently but it nearly took me forever to finish it.  I was thinking about reading Lestat but after reading the other story that nearly took me forever to read, I decided to forget about it.  I'm not going to enjoy it.  Forgot the title of the book I read recently already...It had Lestat in it and I didn't like his character in the book.

Phyrra

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Camus x Phyrra <3
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2007, 11:59:22 PM »
I'm not a fan of the Brat Prince either (Lestat).  But I do really like her books.
I managed to read one of her books in one day.  That's how pulled in I was.

Mel

Valora

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 06:16:59 PM »
I remember the book now, Blackwood Farm - I think.  It was alright in the beginning but after awhile, my interest waned and dragged the days which I finish the book.  The sequel, Blood Canticle, failed to capture my interest and I stop reading it.

I have to admit, when I brought her books to read, I had expect something of a horror and action story.  But it was something different all together.  She writes pretty good just that she doesn't hold my interest with her story.

Phyrra

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • Camus x Phyrra <3
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2007, 05:37:00 PM »
Right now I'm deciding which book to read next.  I wasn't sure about Blackwood Farm or Blood Canticle because I heard they introduced new people and only has Lestat.  If it is, I don't think I'll read it, or one of the last things I read of the series.
I don't know what I was expecting.  I knew I loved the movie, so I figured I would enjoy the books.

Mel