Author Topic: NaNo  (Read 9630 times)

Plantress

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Saint
  • A warrior of Gaia, Goddess of the Earth.
    • View Profile
Re: NaNo
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2007, 01:23:47 PM »
It's almost funny how certain character seem to jump in to your head, isn't it?   I need a bad guy and Kat just kinda popped up, even though I had no idea who she was going to be at first.

MY Harem Saints: Shun and Shura
Saints/Specters I share: Aiolos, Aldebaran, Rune, Nachi, Black Andromeda, Black Dragon, and Kagaho
[I

KnightSkyeメガン

• Saint of Cybertron
  • NankH Staff
  • Gold Saint
  • Daughter of Nyx
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2007, 07:17:53 PM »
For me, it's the fantasy worlds themselves that just pop into my brain.  I've already created several.  I have my NaNo one, called The Realm of Dragon Eyes, another one I wrote about in my Geometry class called Chimera, one that just popped in that is actually just a magical/supernatural twist on this reality that I dubbed the Twilight World, and another rather undefined one where another short story I'm writing takes place.

I actually enjoy making up the worlds and the peoples that populate them.  It's fun. 

Plantress

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2007, 07:29:38 PM »
A bunch of my stories are urban fantasies but I have a couple fantasy worlds, like the one from Laybarith, my Dragon Knights world, the Great Library and my Dreamwalker world.

Saints/Specters I share: Aiolos, Aldebaran, Rune, Nachi, Black Andromeda, Black Dragon, and Kagaho
[I

Roheryn

• Bronze Saint with powerful Cosmo
  • Pearlescent Fire
    • View Profile
    • Musings of a Roh
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2007, 09:33:31 PM »
I only have one world so far, called Laris
but to put it in the words of my favorite author, I'm a seat of the pants writer
I let my charries take me, and they get to decide what's going to happen next... sometimes with disasterious results

Raiden [雷電]

• Acquired Seventh Sense
  • I am the Goddess of Death. Your life is forfeit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2007, 09:12:52 AM »
one that just popped in that is actually just a magical/supernatural twist on this reality that I dubbed the Twilight World

I can't help thinking about the Twilight Zone now...

Anyway, that sounds somewhat like my alternate dimension of our world... the one that's shown in the Yreland story. I even have dragons in it. xP But good thing that there are only about five good ones and the evil ones are mostly dead. ...I came up with a plot twist for the scene where Treadway, the Rainbow Dragon, is awakened. ...But damn it all, I forgot it. >.< That's what you get when your computer crashes and takes your story's second part with it... (Perhaps I need a new idea for that scene... hm. Darius and his world... yeah, that works. x3)
--------------------
Plus then there's my own fantasy world, in which "The Element Wars" take place. (=TEW is the story's name.)

Anybody tend to use Celtic names in stories? ...I do, sometimes. Especially in TEW, in which every character has a name linked to his or her element. I have about 14+ main characters in this, man and woman of each element (but when I wrote this, the women were the MAIN main characters, the guys appeared later or were there just to provide back-up or advice). Edana ("Feminine form of Aidan = Fire" in Irish) and Kay ("Fire" in Scottish) have Fire, Ailia ("Light" in Irish) and Lucas ("Form of Luke light; illumination" in English) have Light, Brann ("Raven" in Irish) and ? (forgot) have Air, Ilane ("Island" in Irish) and ? (forgot as well) have Earth, Adaira ("From the oak tree ford" in Scottish) and Wythe ("From the willow tree" in English) have Tree and Corie ("Variant of Cory = Seething pool" in both English and Irish) and Seaward ("Sea guardian" in English) have Water... plus Darcy ("Dark" in Irish) and Don ("Dark stranger" in Celtic) have Darkness (=these two are good guys).
These young people also have Seafraid ("Peace from God" in Irish) and Eleanor ("Shining light. Variant of Helen." in English), "The Heralds of Eostre" (=Goddess of Light. In real mythology she is the goddess of spring, but her name comes from 'dawn'), as their guides. While "The Harbingers of Heolstor" (=God of Darkness. Originally just an Anglo-Saxon name meaning "Darkness".), aka the enemy leaders, are Duncan ("Dark skinned fighter" in Celtic) and Duayna ("Feminine of Duane = Dark" in Irish).
The other deities: Bridget is the Goddess of Fire (in real mythology as well, just called Brigid), Taranis is the God of Air (originally a god of thunder), Amaethon is the God of Earth (he is really the god of agriculture, but wth), Abellio is the God of Tree (the real god of apple trees) and Coventina is the Goddess of Water (=in real mythology, too... but as a goddess of wells and springs).

Plantress

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2007, 01:12:44 PM »
O.o Okay, I thought I knew where my novel was going but it's started changing on.  New characters I didn't even know I would need keep popping up and the plot seems to have changed.   I'm having fun writing it but it's still surprising how somethings have turned out.

[I

KnightSkyeメガン

• Saint of Cybertron
  • NankH Staff
  • Gold Saint
  • Daughter of Nyx
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2007, 03:34:21 PM »
@ Rai:  Actually, Twilight Zone isn't too far off.  The Twilight World is the world in which Ariana's Tale, a story I started on DevArt that I really should update sometime soon, takes place.  It's called that because in the words of one of my characters in some half-finished story floating around my comp "Human kind lives in a daylight world where the sun shines.  They don't even think about it anymore, but there's a nighttime world where evil rules and demons roam.  The only thing that separates Day from Night is Twilight."

And I like to use multi-ethinic names.  In my NaNo novel, I'm actually using names I completely made up myself except for the mercenaries who are named after their prefered weapons.

@ Plantress:  When I first thought up my plot and characters, they were totally different from what I wrote.  In my experience, stuff changes on you like *snaps fingers* that.

@ Roheryn:  That's me too.  I lay down a basic idea and then run with it.

Roheryn

• Pearlescent Fire
    • View Profile
    • Musings of a Roh
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2007, 08:51:46 PM »
heh, I'm behind, a 'course... but my charries are hilarious

Plantress

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2007, 12:05:08 AM »
A couple of my characters are developing a strange older brother/younger brother relationship.   I have writing them arguing.

[I

Roheryn

• Pearlescent Fire
    • View Profile
    • Musings of a Roh
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2007, 06:53:30 PM »
heh...
being WoT, I have two pairs of first sisters
and a pair of near/first ((haven't quite decided)) brothers
all Aiel of course

Kuriboh

• NankH Staff
  • Gold Saint
  • Au Palais de Verre
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2007, 07:53:51 AM »
I tried an original story last year, but it fell on it's face because I ended up hating most of the cast.

This year, I'm doing a fanfic. Feck everything else.
Harem: Mu+Shaka+Aphrodite+Dohko+Kiki

KnightSkyeメガン

• Saint of Cybertron
  • NankH Staff
  • Gold Saint
  • Daughter of Nyx
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2007, 04:49:02 PM »
I am soooo behind.  I'm afraid I won't make the quota because I've been so busy and so distracted.  I'm going to Indiana in a couple of days, then Thanksgiving and the day before I'm probably got to babysit to help out my sister and mom, and the 25th is the Gov's Carollighting and I was accepted to play in the All-Star Band at it.  And then I've got school . . . . Argh.

Plantress

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2007, 06:18:10 PM »
I've had to rethink part of the plot in my story because of the way certain characters have been developing, and I have to say that I like the new version alot better than the old one.

[I

Qubeley

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2007, 06:43:02 PM »
Oh wow, I totally did not see this thread... or section... or whatever, I'm always late in finding these sort of threads that I belong in.

Here it is the 17th and I'm floating somwhere around 23,000. Sad thing is, even at this same rate I'd be short by 5000 words at the end of the month. I just got out of an imagination block that stunted me for 2 days. I literally would sit there at 11:40 and just try to crap out 30 words just so I can say I added to the word count at all that day. This whole contest put me to challenge myself to write a single straight story, rather than short bursts of chapters that jump around the timeline (my SS fanfic already at 37K words is like this). Also, this novel of mine is original, and something I've been itching to do for two years. I actually hope to publish what comes out of this struggle, and tht sort of pressure is just enough to get me motivated.

So what the heck is my fantasy? I honestly couldn't express the sentiment in a single sentence, but I can give the premise in the single sentence: A beautiful demon travels the world in search of the most beautiful people, and their discovery of why the world is the way it is. See? You're wondering what is going on there. Also, it might sound very expansive, which is the point. I'm trying to get an epic rolling along, and this would be one leg of the table, so to speak.

A really big help to me is the fact that rather than generate new characters entirely, I just use existing ones from my SS fanfic. This way, I already have their details and personality.

Oh, we should get in touch on the NaNo site. I'm Saint Weapon, and already buddies with Kuri.

This is whom I write for =^_^=

Plantress

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Saint
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2007, 01:39:52 AM »
Accents are a pain to write out......

(And yes, I'm at nearly 30,000 words!  I've managed to keep on target!)

[I